Dec 19, 2004
Back in '99; I joined an atv club.
The result?
Their leadership evidently didn't 'like' me asking questions as to why one of our popular business member was very unhappy; why our top leadership consisted primarily of immediate family members; why certain "founding" members were about to receive benefits the rest of us wouldn't...or even why any club needed to be associated with any folk charging parents $25 to sit in on their own child's training classes....among a slew of many others.
Lo and behold, this person finally attained a position where he sat among other leaders of the orv community.
When the questions continued as to just exactly what he was "doing" (did/said/proposed, etc.) in the presence of all these traditional "go-to" people in the community....there was even worse stonewalling than ever before and even formal refusal of admittance to club meetings (I guess this person figured that there was even 'more' to not talk about at this "high security level"...).
After being called every name in the book for having the "audacity" to question this atv 'hero' every other one of these members looked up to for years with UNENDING praise and admiration....guess who finally got the screwing...and they all took off in a huff with their tail between their legs to form their own club.('imagine that'....).

Soooo......I 'forgave' these idiots in the interest of finally getting something done and started to ask them about the multi-user group our orv advisory board chairman formed that was supposed to be the answer to all of our prayers and a council on which they volunteered to be the light 4-wheeled "representative" or voice of.
Why....Deja Vu!!!
The question is plain and simple asked 'flat-out'....what HAS this group (the MMRC) been up to (if it even exists); and what HAVE they been telling the DNR that WE want as a multi-user group with now 'historic' representation?

The Answer???....YOU WOULD THINK THAT THESE GUYS WERE ALL MEMBERS OF 'THE MANHATTAN PROJECT' OR SOMETHING!!
They have continually refused (and still won't) say ONE WORD about what they have done at these meetings.....and I defy any one of you to google search the name "Michgan Recreational Riders Council" and find a word from them since the day they were formed (their founder even very NASTILY claimed that they had "nothing to say" when the public was invited to comment on this historic update plan....NOTHING!!!).
I mean it's just unbelievable, folks!

I'm in the process (right now) of having to file a Freedom of Information Act request for 'what'?....SOME kind of information (you can't get the board or department to release it) as to just exactly HOW our advisory board (translation: OUR voice in the DNR) has recommended that our DNR proceed in regards to an ultra-important 25 year update plan they have been working on for over a year and a half...and is supposed to be revealed inside of the next month!

What do all of these guys do?....prick their finger and sign in blood that none of them will ever reveal the secrets of their little ya ya sisterhood?

And tell me something...how in the heck can this orv community just sit back and let their meetings with the DNR be cut form 6 to 4...then let THEIR OWN ADVISORY BOARD cancel yet another meeting (we're going on half a year now with nary a word from anybody on anything)...BECAUSE THE DNR ADMITS 'OFF THE RECORD' THAT THEY DON'T LIKE HAVING TO BE SUBJECTED TO PUBLIC COMMENTARY WHEN THEY HAVE NOTHING FURTHER TO REPORT !!!

Welllllllll...... how about the advisory board holding their regularly scheduled meeting to get OUR input or (god forbid) report to US what in the heck THEY are doing as OUR representatives?
Or are we so darn unimportant... that if the DNR doesn't want to be there....what use is there of even meeting?

The level of true involvement in what happens behind the scenes here in Michgan off-roading is truly sickening and believe me....we are truly the "laughingstock" of this entire region (just ask anybody who has butted heads with these bozos in other capacities in different associations).

And if you don't believe me....just ask where the next $4 out of your increased sticker fee is going to go? (If you live in western Michigan or the U.P....you'll LOVE this one....).

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2004
By the way....I still haven't received a response from the department employee who claimed that 'our' orv advisory board was, in fact, THEIR board....NOT ours...as to if this was the department's official position on this matter or not (this was in response as to why this board's contact information has been witheld by the board themselves; while all others are published....snowmobile, NRC, etc.).

"You tell me" now why this last meeting was cancelled and why both parties have called it a "mutual decision".....

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2004
Gosh, it gets kind of "quiet" in here when you start talking about what AMA or CCC leadership is 'up to'...doesn't it?

I suppose plain and simple facts get pretty hard to swallow when you start talking about the public's cancelled meetings and e-mails slandering the truth which you won't 'allow' to be published......

Would anybody like to talk 'instead' about southeast Michigan riding areas and $4 out of every increased sticker price going to build it?....hmmmm?

Dec 19, 2004
The latest...I e-mailed Dr. Nelson; who replied that he has never even so much as heard of your AMA buddy's Michigan "multi-user group" (the MMRC) and that no user group has ever even so much as contacted him in regards to their recommendations for this upcoming update plan (save the public comment meetings; which echoes the DNR's assertion that they had absolutely no formal input from our board or these 'mystery men').

Meanwhile, we've got one of your AMA buddies claiming that 'behind the scenes'....he's already got $4 million of our sticker money spent by 2008 and that the DNR is "hand-in-hand" with him and "very close" regarding pending legislation ahead of the DNR even revealing "our" :| update plan!

Kind of makes sense (now) why these guys cancelled this last advisory board meeting....doesn't it?

Top Bottom