What are these threaded holes for?

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Despite coming across as ignorant, I'm gonna ask this question anyway.

In the attached photo, what are the threaded holes (w/red arrows) for?

This is a cylinder I got in exchange from FRP. I'm certain that on the cylinder I sent to him, I did not remove anything from this area (other that the springs from the "loops").

Am I missing something here? Literally AND figuratively!

BTW, the bike is a 98 220.

Thanks,
Chuck

Attachments

• front of cylinder.jpg
    front of cylinder.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 132

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Thanks for the info. Makes sense to me.

Is there supposed to be some "plugs" of some sort installed, or are the openings exposed to the elements?

See ya,
Chuck

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
Looks like the barrel from a 220SR. On my 89 200SR there are studs in those holes and the pipe has a flange and is held on by two nuts.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Know Fear and jpm200,

Thanks for the replies.

As it turns out, this jug has been sent back to FRP. It had a deformtiy on the surface that mates to the head and I could not get it to seal properly. It kept leaking coolant into the cylinder.

Presently, I am waiting on another cylinder from FRP. There's been WAY too much down time on this top end job. I'm getting riding withdrawals!

When I get home tonight I'll post pictures of the deformity.

Thanks again,
Chucky

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Bad cylinder from FRP

Here are a couple of pictures of the cylinder I got from Fredette. I've sent it back and am waiting for him to send me another.

I'm actually pi$$ed about the whole deal. FRP sent me a bad cylinder and it has increased my down time ten fold at least. As of right now he's unwilling to compensate me for the headache, inconvenience and the aforementioned down time. I've even had to pay the shipping charges to get the bad cylinder back to him.

Anyway, Figure 1 shows where the plating has run over the top of the bore and created a raised lip or ridge. Figure 2 shows how high the lip is....008 of an inch! I feel this ridge was preventing the head and cylinder from mating properly. Coolant kept leaking into the cylinder.

Sorry about the flame.

Chuck

Attachments

• Figure One DRN.jpg
    Figure One DRN.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Figure Two DRN.jpg
    Figure Two DRN.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 91
Top Bottom