What are things that you wondered how you did without?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
There have been a couple of things that I have bought for my bike that after I bought it, I wondered how I had gone so long with out one. This is my list in no particular order.

1. T-handles - Always was skeptical of them till I bought a set. They are probably the most used tool in my tool box.

2. Oversized front rotor - makes braking so much nicer, no more arm pump in my right arm.

3. Gear bag - used to just throw it all in the back of my car, bag is so nice to have.

4. Good set of tire irons - If it weren't for them, I would never be changing my tires. Cheap sets just make it a pain.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Air compressor
Vise
BF hammer

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I was asking a riding buddy last weekend, "what did we do on weekends before we bought dirtbikes?"

Neither of us remember. I wonder how I did without one.

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
Hydration Back Packs

Definitely couldn't do without my Camelback for extened rides. I used to use a fanny pack to hold my tools but I had no way to carry water. Now my camel back holds my tools and more water than I can drink on most days.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
CC's!
I used to think 500 was enough, but 650 is definatly nicer!
now as long as the "murphy curse" doesnt hit this one.......(knock wood) :yikes:

Disc brakes.
yea yea o.k. o.k. i admit that they are a tad bit better than drums. :)

Suspention.
My last ride was a (still have it) '82 XL500r.
Not bad really, but getting off my XR650r and then getting on the '82 is like timewarp whiplash!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
WaltCMoto said:
Enclosed trailer

i'll agree with that. i can't believe that i raced out of the back of a truck for 14 years--never again.

also, the moose tire changing rack. changing tires is a breeze now. i actually enjoy it.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
YZ165 said:
I was asking a riding buddy last weekend, "what did we do on weekends before we bought dirtbikes?"

Neither of us remember. I wonder how I did without one.

That is so true! I remember not racing one sunday 2 weeks ago because I was moving. I felt like I had all this extra time and the weekend seemed to last forever.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
mx547 said:
i'll agree with that. i can't believe that i raced out of the back of a truck for 14 years--never again.

I am getting a truck this fall but was going to hold out on an enclosed trailer because I thought it was overkill for just one rider. What did you dislike about the truck and like about the trailer?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
A decent kickstand (the pro-moto billet ones is great), a rubbermaid tote (instead of a gearbag) that doesnt leak; no more worrying about wet gear if it rains on the way to the trail. Lastly, the camelbak is something I cant imagine riding without.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'll have to agree with CC's. Right tool for the job.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Casper250 said:
I am getting a truck this fall but was going to hold out on an enclosed trailer because I thought it was overkill for just one rider. What did you dislike about the truck and like about the trailer?

Enclosed trailers rule! I roadraced for several years with an open trailer and a truck with a cap. I later upgraded to a 6x12 enclosed trailer and then upgraded again to my current 7x16 trailer. I might buy an open trailer for some uses, but I'll never sell my enclosed trailer.

When you get home, you back in, unhook, and you're done. No longer do you have hours of unloading to look forward to when you get home, totally beat, at midnight.

When you stop on the road for a bite to eat, you don't have to worry about some dirtbag stealing your stuff laying in the back of your truck.

If you spend the night somewhere, that enclosed trailer is an excellent "track motel."

You bike garage also happens to be a totally mobile vehicle you can take with you. All your spares are in the trailer, and therefore they go where you go. No more being away from home with a broken bike while the spare you need is safely at home.

If your truck breaks down, anyone can pull your trailer.

An enclosed trailer is 18" from the ground, at most, while a truck is at least twice that high. Enclosed trailers can also be had with ramp doors on the back, making loading even easier.

An enclosed trailer, equipped with a roof vent, can be air-conditioned. When it's 90F outside, my air-conditioned 7x16 is like a little bit of heaven.

Of course, they're not without their down sides. For one, they are a LOT harder to tow due to the increased aerodynamic drag. That generally means you need a bigger tow vehicle than you would for an open trailer. For example, I tow my 7x16 with an F350 Power Stroke Diesel. Yes, plenty of folks will regale you with tales of how they tow bigger trailers than that with an F150 with the smallest engine Ford offers. That's their perogative. I think 3/4 or 1-ton trucks are the way to go for towing enclosed trailers. Bigger components, stiffer springs, etc. all add up to a more pleasant towing experience. It might not matter for relatively local dirt races, but when you're going to a road race track that is 12 hours away, it's definitely a factor.

Your fuel economy will also take a beating, particularly if it's a gas engine. Diesels get MUCH better mileage when towing.

They're also harder to store. You can grab an open trailer and move it by hand. An enclosed trailer requires machinery, every time, unless you're a gorilla.

You also have one more vehicle to keep registered. Also, most states require brakes on trailers over 3000lb GVWR, which can also lead to annual inspections (at least here in Pennsylvania).

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Gota' agree with the enclose trailer vote. I really didn't see the need but I wouldn't be without one now! A Camelback is also real high on my list but it also lives in the enclosed trailer!

JUSTRIDE415

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
Enclosed trailer, snowmobiles harley's dirtbikes but still just one trailer. Two weeks ago i went riding, when we got there we needed a spark plug, if i had my truck we would have been S.O.L. but it was in our stock right in the trailer.
Dad, he got me riding, he takes me riding every once in a while, he bought the bike, trailer, helped me pick out my truck, and he showed me his old favorite riding spot and my new favorite!
Good ole boys i know to give me tricks and ride with, I barely have ridden with him, but when we talk Bill Chapin teaches me a lot, and Lonnie Wright teaches me very much for technique, set up, and just makes me faster.
I may have been a bit off topic but riding wouldn't be as much fun without these things

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Ibuprofin
That spring-puller thingy
Sneaking away from work on Fridays for an afternoon ride. Oh, look at the time... :yeehaw:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
1. Properly set up suspension

2. Steering Stabilizer

3. Chest protector

4. knee/shin guards

5. Hydration System

6. Gearbag

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I have to agree with steering stabilizer. Pricey but worth it. :cool:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
mtk said:
You also have one more vehicle to keep registered.

here (okla) we don't even have to register them.

i pull a 6x12 with an f-150 4.6. it does struggle at times. the mileage drops from about 16mpg to about 10mpg.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Land for my own track.

TiVO, for those days when I can't ride and want to watch some racing.

Enclosed trailer for all the same reasons everyone else has said.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
For me it was a shed in my back yard. For 6 years I kept the bikes under a tarp. Tools and parts were inside the house, so I had to lug them out everytime I worked on my bike.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Here's another vote for enclosed trailer. I have had a 6x12 for several years, but I want a 7x14 or 16 with a V nose, so that I can put a potty / shower in the nose. Even though I don't have the potty yet, I can already tell that I won't be able to live without it !! Also, since I'm over six feet tall, the next trailer will have 6'6" height... I will be able to live without banging my head !!

Really am a bit nervous going to a longer trailer, 'cuz I can get this one though all the fast food drive thoughs (sometimes takes a bit of finese).

Concur also with not having to unload my stuff at home, worry about people stealing my stuff at restaurants / gas stations / motels, and having all my tools / parts / EZ=Up tent / chairs / ice chest / gas / compressed air / etc in one spot EVERY time.

Another thing I can't live without; a diesel pickup. Way better gas mileage, way more power than typical gas engines, (I realize that the biggests gas engines make more power, but REALLY suck the gas).

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I can think of a million things, but the latest is the enclosed trailer. I got in back in the early spring and just could never go back.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
my 30' Motorhome for those 3 day weekends at the races or just trail riding with all the luxury of home.
ASV levers, Havent had a broken lever in almost a year.

Damn you all to Hell !, :pissed: after hearing so much about the subject now I have to go but a damn enclosed trailer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…