jnesbitt

Feb 16, 2005
First the answers to the mandatory questions.
1. I'm 5'9 and weight around 190. My age is 27.
2. I'm fairly aggressive but not stupid.
3. I plan to ride mx/sx tracks some but probably more often trails.
4. I've been riding off and on since I was a kid. I used to race a little too. My last bike was a 2000 CR250.
5. I probably won't race.
6. I'm not real mechanically inclined but I know how to do some of the basics.
7. I don't really have a preference of brand or motor type.
8. I have dealers for just about every brand near by.
9. I'm flexible on how much I spend though I don't think I'd want to go over 4K. Obviously this means I'll probably be getting a used bike.

Background:

I traded my last bike in for the wife and kid so due to other obligations this means I probably won't get a chance to ride but once a week at best. As I said, the majority of my riding will probably be done on trails but I'd still like to be able to hit a big double every once in a while. I need something with a lot of low end power because I'll be doing a lot of riding at my parents place on the mountain where steep terrain will be the norm.

What I'm currently looking at?
1. Brand New 2004 KDX220R. Guy says he could get it to me out the door for 4K. Opinions on this bike? What would it feel like compared to the 2000 CR250 I used to ride?
2. 2002 YZ 250. This bike is loaded with a ton of after market parts and looks like it has barely been ridden. Also, it is conveniently located right down the street. The guy wants 3K.
3. 2000 KX 250. Haven't seen it yet but the guy says it's mostly stock and in top notch shape. The attractive bit here is the price. $1,800.

Thanks for taking the time reading and responding to my post! Also, if any one in the north georgia area is looking for a riding buddy give me a shout.

Thanks!

Jason

bnichols70

Sep 23, 2004
Any WR's available? The 4 stroke would be excellent to follow jr. or jrette around on. This is what I do with my kid. But this may not be an option, depending on their age. Or you don't plan to do anything like this. My point being I never realized first/second gear was so much fun until I started following my son on trails. This, to me, is now more fun than seeing how fast I can kiss a tree, or how big a roost I can lay on the buddy behind me... (yes, I know, but we are good friends, so don't flame me)

jnesbitt

Feb 16, 2005
I have been looking around for the wr's but there doesn't seem to be many used ones in the market lately. That wr450 looks like it would definitely serve my purpose. Perhaps if I'm a bit more patient one will turn up.
My daughter is only 1 and my wife has already sworn to me that she'll never let me get her on a bike. :bang: So riding around with the little one is a non issue but it sure would be fun! Perhaps I could change her mind when a little boy comes along. Until then I'll be roosting my buddies mostly! :yeehaw:

Thanks bnichols!

bnichols70

Sep 23, 2004
I got the 250, since it is the same motor as I understand as the YZ, just detuned. A couple easy mods, I've got a YZ with wide ratio tranny, headlight, etc...

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
The KDX is the best trail bike in your list. I'm not sure what the 2004 is like, as I ride a 2000. You can significantly improve the stock suspension with new springs and a rev pipe does wonders to bring the bike alive. I think it has the best suited engine for the steep trailriding you are describing. On an MX bike, you may be more confident hitting that huge double, but your going to be doing a lot of revving and clutching getting it up tight, steep trails.

jnesbitt

Feb 16, 2005
Looking into all of the available models, the KTM exc models look appealing to me. The only problem is that they seem to be quite pricey. Even used ones. I'm looking at one now on cycle trader online but the forum is not letting me post the url so here is the description.
2002 KTM 200, EXC, Pro Taper bars, Endelrg eng., hand guards, new FMF pipe, ICO computers, extra tires and stand incl., moving and must sell
But $3500 for a 2002???? Opinions here?

redsput

Feb 13, 2005
I'm in nearly the same spot as you in terms of selecting a new toy. I currently ride an 02' xr250 (which is a terriffic - bullet proof trail machine - but lacking snap, and NOT in any way a suitable bike for any track riding - which equates to about 1/2 my seat time.)
I just looked at an 02' exc 200 myself. The local dealer shyed me away noting significant engine (mainly power valve changes drastically improving low end) and front suspension improvements on the 03' and up. Haven't ridden an 02', but I do oh so love my friends 04' exc200. $.02

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
If you can find a crf 03 and newer those would be the most versatile. If you had a cr 250 before the KDX will be a big horse power disapointment

jnesbitt

Feb 16, 2005
ok I'm supposed to go look at an 03 ktm 250 exc tomorrow. Guy says it's in near perfect shape and wants $3500 for it. Does this sound like a decent deal? I've read a lot of good things about the 250 exc on this forum. The only thing I'm kinda hung up on is the extra weight(10 pounds or more) this bike has compared to the 250 mxers. Is this extra weight going to be noticeable? Do these exc's really make that much better woods bikes than the mxers?

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
If your going to ride

MX andSX most of the time I would personally go with a CR250 or any other MX 250.
You can throw a Flywheel weight on it to tame the hit for more woods oreinted riding.

KMAPRO

Jan 11, 2005
Before you buy, check with Top Gear Motorsports in Athens, Ga. They are Kawasaki and KTM dealers - they have good prices on 2004 models right now.

I will be going back this saturday to pick up either my KTM 250SX or myt KDX 200

Zebra

Apr 9, 2001
I bought a new leftover '95 KDX200 when it was redesigned back in '96 over a KX125. I grew up on MX bike and read great things about the KDXs. It was definitely easy to ride and reliable but I always felt like I was missing something compared to the MX bikes. I found myself longing for stiffer suspention and lighter weight of the MX bikes and ended up selling a few years later. It was a darn good play bike though...

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
How about a GasGas EC or XC? They come in 200,250 and 300cc displacement. They're usually a little cheaper used than KTMs because most people consider them exotic bikes. They're reliable and come with top notch components.

Top Bottom