binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
I want Low and Easiest to ride!!! Which bike is best?
I want it to be:
light.
EASY TO RIDE when the going gets tough and narrow.
Able to climb tough hills without too much aggression.
low seat height so I can touch ground easily.
I need a CA green sticker!
Did I say EASY TO RIDE?.

Edit.....
1) your physical size: 5'10", 29" inseam, 170lbs, 40 yrs old.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I am in excellent shape, but tight terrain next to cliffs and downhills scare me which causes me to waste my energy "tensing-up", these situations limit my aggression, but on easier trails I can be quite aggressive.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ???? Anything is possible, but likely trails, single-track, w/friends, tough hills, exploring....
4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes, about 1.5 yrs on a dirtbike now.
5) Do you think you will race ? I might race a C or D class.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Extremely.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All brands local.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? Open to discussion.
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion? EASY TO RIDE !!!!

2 or 4 stoke, doesn't matter at this point.
As a comparison, my 2002 ktm 250 exc is to me: tough to ride in tight stuff, way too tall of a seat height causing me to fall over all the time, but climbs hills well - though aggressively.
I like the 250exc for riding fast open stuff, but don't like it for anything else.

Also, I'm in CA so I need a green sticker bike!
Please advise.....

Last edited:

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
I was going to say a KX/YZ 250 because I personally think they are pretty good at everything, but since you have one now and don't seem to like it as much as you could, I would say a 250f....If you feel it is too tall, there are a number of ways to fix that.....it will have more usable power for you and you'll be able to keep up to anyone. Also, since you are good at working on stuff, you'll be able to easily keep up the maintenence on one of these. There are a number of different 250f's you could get, research them and find which one you would think is the best....test ride and see which one you like the best.....nick.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
If the 250EXC is too tall and dificult to ride, you will probably find the same of the 250F's. If you really intend to race, the 250F's are probably the way to go. If EASY is your primary concern then might I suggest a XR250R or a KDX 200/220 or DRZ or TTR we are talking barkalounger foo foo bikes here. You are big enough that an XR400 should be cool too. All the serious race bikes are about the same height, and are really meant to be ridden hard.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Honda XR250R, Kawasaki KDX200 or GasGas EC200 (make sure it is a true EC with heavier ignition and flywheel, not the DE model). I'm not sure if the KDX and GasGas are green sticker bikes in CA. For the seat height issue, you can always get the suspension revalved and shortened for you.

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
He can't get any trail bike if he is going to be riding MX/SX tracks, that's why I said a 250F that is lowered somehow.....good luck on picking, if your getting an 06 250F, get anything but RMZ, they haven't changed anything from 05. Any 250F that is 05 or older, I would say a YZF or CRF....hope this helps...

Top Bottom