jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
im 15 and i have a 02 cr250 and its getting old so i have been thinking what i get next.
but i dont know my brother said if i got a 450 i would get lazy he said u can ride a 250f just as quick, u just have to ride harder.
what should i get??

Apr 30, 2007
Give us some more info please!

Fill this out!

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
175cm tall, 60kg
2) How physical / aggressive are you?
well i dont like getting beaten i push myself to learn new technieques.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
i plan riding on mx and sx tracks but with friends

4) Do you have any riding experience?
umm i first picked up a bike when i was 6 but on and off interest for them but in the last year i have gotten way better and now looking at new bikes

5) Do you think you will race ?
umm maybe when i personally can afford it

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own
bike work?
yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
i used to prefer 2strokes but new i like both but i do want a 4stroke because i can go to the gas station and just fill it up not mix fuel and stuff

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
fraser motorcycles/honda and graem boyed motorcycles/suzuki kawasaki bike shop.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
between 6 and 3 thousand dollars

10) Do you live in California?
no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
no not really

Apr 30, 2007
So..you can't afford racing? But you can drop 3-6 grand on a new bike? :yikes: How much does racing cost in your area?!?!

Any 4-stroke you get is going to feel pretty heavy and not so quick compared to the bike you have now.

Pump gas may be easy, but maintaining a 4-stroke is a decent bit more complicated...

If you seriously need to upgrade, go with a 450. Buy one used, and you should find lots in your price range.

Then :) Donate your CR250 to me, and I will mix it all the gas it ever wanted! (spoken in jest).

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
well its a 2 stroke harder to do wheelies and my dad is very tight with money he is only happy to let me have a bike but not race it.
and not long ago i mixed the fuel ratio at 45/1 instead of 40/1 so i melted the piston and rings and snaped the rod for the rc valve.

Apr 30, 2007
I say get a 450 because:

The power of the 4-stroke 250 is relatively comparable to a 125 2-stroke. In my area, we have those two bikes racing in the same classes.

The 450 4strokes race in our 250 2-stroke class.

Since you already ride a 250 2-stroke, I'm assuming you probably wouldn't want to take a downgrade in performance...

250 hard to wheely?!?! Uhm...are you twisting the throttle? or does it need a new top end? I have never seen one of those bikes have a hard time getting the front end up!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Going from 40:1 to 45:1 won't melt a piston. I bet you were running lean jetting or there was something else wrong. I'd recommend sticking with a two-stroke since motocross four-strokes cost more to maintain.

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
well it did melt the piston. and im thinking of getting another 250 two stroke because its all ive ever had and less maintanence.
what do use rekon is better the yz250 or cr250

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
jasonent0613 said:
well it did melt the piston. and im thinking of getting another 250 two stroke because its all ive ever had and less maintanence.
what do use rekon is better the yz250 or cr250

If you melted the piston it probably wasn't because of a lack of oil.

Which grade of gasoline did you use?

If you buy a high performance 4-stroke and put the low octane pump gas in it you will melt its piston as well.

Rod

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
i was using unleaded im not sure what the octane was.
well a 450 would be so good but i wouldent use all the power and i would get lazy so i think ill get another 250 two stroke.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Go for a YZ250. In my opinion the YZ is the best Japanese two-stroke on the market. In fact it's the only one I'd consider buying. Great handling, great suspension and an awesome engine.

Top Bottom