Coun7th3star5

Aug 9, 2007
New Girl Rider

I'm getting a dirt bike.. i've ridden one before. i ride a street bike but need something for dumont.

i'm only 5'3 and am getting people telling me i should get a 250 four stroke and lower it and people telling me i should get something smaller like a 150.

i've pretty much heard every argument about why i should go smaller or bigger..

my attittude is, might as well go big.. i'll grow into it.. but after the discussion of grown men finding it hard to recover a fall in the sand, i'm thinking maybe a smaller bike might be better lighter, easier, till i get good..

any input.?
i work for a bike shop so a honda would be easy to get, but i've had my eye on this yz250f..
just afraid i'll struggle in the sand with my height..
but dont want to have to buy a bigger bike once i need more power than a 150..

also, can 150's make it in the sand? can they keep up with the big boys =)
thanks.

Last edited:

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Well honestly It sounds like you might have access to the CRF150R and the CRF250R. Why not give both a test ride?

At a minimum sit on them to get a feel for the ride height.

It might be in your best interest to pickup a KX100 or something along those lines. Once you can handle the power of a 100cc 2-stroke move up to a lowered 250f.

Riding (especially in the sand) is 90% rider 10% bike. Confidence is key. Personally if I were you there is no way in hell I would go out to the sand dunes on a 250f.

I think a 100CC 2 stroke or a CRF150F would be a great first bike for you. My only concern would be how fast you will grow it. IF you can get a full riding season on a KX100 I would be happy. If you firmly believe you will go all out and upgrade in a month, get the 250f I guess.

I have a 600cc 4 stroke Honda CBR street bike and a 250 2 stroke dirt bike. The street bike is a moped compared to the dirt bike.

Also if you can take a 250f from work and set it on its side. See if you can pick it up and ride away. Multiply the difficulty of this by 1.5 for sand. Multiply by 2 for on a hill in the sand.

J-man

May 16, 2007
the CRF150R would be a good 4 stroke for you but you cold also go with the CR85 or if thats too small a 125 is a good choice. mabe a little tall though

Top Bottom