dan7777777

Dec 1, 2007
Okay im 18 years old, 6ft 4, 165lbs and looking for a good reliable trail bike for a beginner to intermediate rider what should i be looking for on Craigslist? I will only be riding the local trails and plan on only spend 2,000 or so at the most. I want a 4 stroke.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
When shopping for a dirt bike keep in mind that there are two basic models: "MX" and "Off road". There are also some blends between the two but these represent the two ends of the spectrum.

The MX bikes are built for race. High performance engines, no frills (such as as kickstand) and they are expensive. The "off road" bikes are cheaper, generally have a lower seat height, often come with electric start and, unfortunately, a much reduced suspension.

At 6'4" you certainly don't need the lower seat height of an off road model and it may actually be uncomfortable for you. You are fairly light for how tall you are so the suspension and lower performance wouldn't be a problem. The price would be right in your range for a bike that is only a few years old. The CRF230F would be a great beginner bike, very forgiving.

My concern is that I don't know too many 18 year olds that would be satisfied with a nice gentle ride, keeping the rubber in contact with the ground. As soon as you start eyeing a jump then that bike will not be a good fit any longer. If you gain a little weight, start hitting the jumps, and now the suspension on an off road model will not be sufficient.

On the other hand, a bike that would be a good fit later on will be a lot more expensive and very hard to learn on.

Assuming that the budget is the most limiting factor I would recommend buying the CRF230f but only plan on keeping it for a year or two. You should be able to sell it for almost what you bought it for (if you keep the maintenance up) and by then you might have saved enough to buy a better MX style bike.

Don't forget that you will need some gear to go along with the bike. Helmet and goggles for sure. Get a pair of boots, I really don't recommend riding without (edited 7/16) them. Gloves are highly recommended. If you are pushing your limits and falling a bunch you may want knee pads, hip/thigh pads, neck brace, etc.

Good luck
Rod

Last edited:

dan7777777

Dec 1, 2007
thanks man im a guy who just enjoys seeing the nature and love riding and i just want a modest trail bike that can take care of me if i take care of it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Don't like the questions?

dan7777777

Dec 1, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)6ft4" pushing 170
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
good shape, i do work
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Ride woods
4) Do you have any riding experience?
somewhat i had a lil 70
5) Do you think you will race ?
no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
i can fix a truck not a bike
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
4 stroke honda,yamaha,kawasaki
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
honda and ktm yamaha and im goin craigslist
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
no,Pennsylvania
11) Your age? 18

Top Bottom