What bike should my friend get ( He's a Newbie )

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Alright guys, my friend lives in texas at the moment. He moved from PA to there about 9 months ago. Now he is moving back and going to live with me. So he's looking into buying a bike to go ridding with me and my buddy. He road my cr 250 for the first time 2 days ago and he liked it but hes a little to small for it.

About him

he's 5'9 - 5'10
about 180 lbs
Never road a bike for a long period of time except my cr250 and my ttr125l
Umm we do race's and ride in the woods. My buddy owns a yz400F and i have a cr250, so he's going to need somthing to keep up with us..

He road my bike fine but it's just a little to big for him... I would like to see him go for a 2 stroke but thats my opionion..

So any ideas? He's looking to spend around 1500-1800

Dirt Rival

Oct 16, 2005
?

I would say go with either a KLX 250-450 maybe. But if your riding in the woods you should possibley go with an TT-R 250?
But here some advice buy it used if he wants to spend that amount. :cool:

apb

Feb 1, 2005
AnTs said:
He road my cr 250 for the first time 2 days ago and he liked it but hes a little to small for it.
At 5'9, I don't see how he's too small for a cr250 -- I'm 5'6 and I ride an rmx250 fine, though there are times when I wish I could touch the ground easier. Or are you saying the motor has too much power and he wants something smaller? If he wants the seat lower on a full size bike, he can always trim the foam down, or even get a lowering link and drop the fork height as well.

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Yeah i forgot to mention i would like to stay with yamie, honda, or suzuki... Yeah i dont know, he road my bike and said he wanted somthing smaller.. But im basically asking what should he start on. I personally think starting on a full size bike is a little much.. He had a hard time reach the ground on the 250 + kicking it was a pain for him. So i was thinking cr 125 maybe?

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
apb said:
At 5'9, I don't see how he's too small for a cr250 -- I'm 5'6 and I ride an rmx250 fine, though there are times when I wish I could touch the ground easier. Or are you saying the motor has too much power and he wants something smaller? If he wants the seat lower on a full size bike, he can always trim the foam down, or even get a lowering link and drop the fork height as well.

+1.... I think a 250 2t would be perfect for him. As long as he doesnt get crazy on it until he's comfortable w/ the power. I'm 5'10" and 170lbs. and bought an 02' yz250 a little over a month ago. I can really only touch my tip toes but when i'm riding it i love the feel of the bike. It's the 1st 250 i've ever ridden and my last bike was a cr125 but that was 8 yrs ago last time I even rode a dirty!
If he got a 125 it will eventually be under powered for him most likely.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
AnTs said:
Yeah i forgot to mention i would like to stay with yamie, honda, or suzuki... Yeah i dont know, he road my bike and said he wanted somthing smaller.. But im basically asking what should he start on. I personally think starting on a full size bike is a little much.. He had a hard time reach the ground on the 250 + kicking it was a pain for him. So i was thinking cr 125 maybe?

Well look at it this way, he can go out and get a ttr or something but he's definately not going to be keeping up with you and will want to by another bike in a month. Orrr he could get a 125/250 mx bike and get used to the feel of it and will love it once he gets the hang of it.

badRider11

Apr 25, 2006
im only 5''5 and i ride a kx250. if you can get on the bike, have ur feet at least tippy toe and start it then ur good to go. or you can cut the seat down a little

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom