Jul 27, 2009
Hi everybody. I am about to buy my first dirtbike, and i want you to reccomend some bikes because i hardly know anything about dirtbikes. Thanks

1) Your physical size: 5’5, 115 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you? :IDK
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience? :no
5) Do you think you will race?: no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? : my dad will
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? :nope
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? :no
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? :$500- $1300
10) Do you live in California? :no
11) Your age? 15
12) Anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Icanhascheezburger said:
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? :$500- $1300

All you can get for that kind of money are trashed out bikes that will need lots of work. You'd be better served to wait till you save enough to by a good clean used bike.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I disagree with Rich. $1300 can buy you a fairly decent 125 two stroke, such as a Yamaha YZ-125 that has lots of life left in it. It will buy a really clean 125 four stroke such as a Yamaha TT-R125L (large wheel version).

The bike is only part of the expense, however. You are going to need a helmet, boots, gloves and goggles. I highly recommend a chest protector and knee pads. A good pair of riding pants that won't get ripped to shreds when you fall will make your mom happier. All that can be $500 or more. You should also expect to spend a couple hundred dollars a year to keep the bike running.

You will also need a way to get your bike to an area where you can ride it. Does your family have a truck?

You only answered with question marks for the question of where you intend to ride. Do you really have no idea? Unless your family has a lot of property where you can ride then you will need to take the bike to some place that is legal. It would be crazy for your dad to take you to an off road riding area and send you off into the wilderness on your own. You need a riding buddy, preferably one that knows what he is doing. You could go ride at a local MX track where you never venture far from the parking area.

If you were going to be riding on your own property then I would recommend the TT-R125L. It is about right for your size right now and will provide a good introduction to dirt bikes. It will also hold its value very well so you can sell it in a year or two for about what you bought it for.

The YZ-125 would be the bike of choice if you are going to ride at a track. It will be harder to learn on but once you get the hang of it it will serve you well for years to come.

Rod

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
If you really put in the time looking for it, you can find a good bike for $1300...the deals are out there from time to time. $1300 happens to be exactly what I paid for my '99 YZ400F on Craigslist...which...knock on wood, appears to be a steal so far. It helps to know what to look for, that way you dont buy a piece of crap. I did spend some money on rotors, pads, and a few other odds and ends, but that is normal. Dont expect to jump on the bike and ride it for a year without spending a dime...they require maintenance. Look for used gear on Ebay. I have seen boots, chest protectors, etc go cheap.

Jul 27, 2009
My dad has a trailer for dirt bikes. I am going to be riding in all types of areas. and i have more money that have reserved just for gear. Thanks for the suggestions

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom