thor09

Jul 28, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'7 110 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
intermeted
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? pits and tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience? 2 months
5) Do you think you will race ? yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
every brand
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? couple grand
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 16
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
looking for something that i can use to hit jumps and durable

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
That is a tough one...you might look at a 125 2 stroke, but it may be a bit too tall for you. You really need to ride some buddys bikes to see what feels right. You certainly dont need anything larger than a 125 2 stroke or an "old generation" 250 4 stroke. A Yamaha tt125 might work better for you.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2006
Your weight makes you fit an 85 mx bike. You might be just a hair tall for that, but not too bad. Are you planning to grow a bit soon?? With another 20lbs and 2" or so, you would fit a 125 2 stroke mx bike well, although it would still be a little stiff, spring-wise. If you are going to race mx, and are going to grow a little, then the 125 would be the choice IMO. Around where I live, the 85 class stops at 16 years old.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If he has any experience at all I sure wouldn't put him on a TTR-125. If for no other reason because he will get teased mercilessly. My wife is 5'4" and is just right on a TT-R125L, which is the big wheel version. A kid that is 5'7" on a TT-R125 (small wheel version) would be sitting in such an awkward position with his knees so high that it will be difficult for him to stand through the whoops. Since he plans on going to the track and hitting the jumps sending him off on a bike that is too small and minimal suspension is not going to turn out well.

Thor09: You indicated that you had "2 months" of experience. Can you expand on that? How many hours of riding time, and on what?

I think it would be great to start off on something like a TT-R230 but he will be so over that bike within months.

I would recommend something like a Honda CRF250R. You are going to have a tough time finding one in your budget, however. A 125 two stroke would also be a good bike for but it will be harder to learn on.

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom