What chest protector for sled and bike?

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
I'm looking to buy a chest protector for both my bike and my snowmobile. Are 'roost protectors' structurally sufficient, or are they just for flying debris? Basically, I want something that will protect my chest from the handlebars of my sled and something that will give me a little more protection on my bike. I don't ride crazy on my bike, mainly 1st and 2nd gear through tight, wooded, steep trails. I'm thinking of a protector made for a dirt bike so that I can stay as cool as possible on my sled. How will these hold up to the colder winter temps?What do you guys recommend and what prices might I be looking at? Thanks guys! :cool:

trailblaze

Sep 17, 2002
I have a tekvest dirtsport that I use both seasons. It is very comfortable. My brother wears a roost deflector and says that he doesn't even notice he is wearing it. I think they both offer the same protection.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't think many companies still market them as "chest protectors" anymore because of the liability of the implied capability of protecting your chest. What has always been called a chest protector is now usually called a roost deflector or some such thang.

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
Ok, thanks guys. Are these 'roost protectors' worth buying for taking the edge off an impact, or should I buy a full tekvest instead?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've never seen one of those Tekvests before, but they do look like they would be hot, http://www.sled-parts.com/sledparts/sledparts_tekvest.html

The Teckvest does seem to have more protection, but I couldn't wear it during the summer. The modern MX "roost deflector" does do a decent job of spreading the force of impact.

Here is what I wear: http://www.malcolmsmith.com/eshopprod_cat_1271-10017_product_122847.ZOOM_II_PLUS_ROOST_DEFLECTOR.htm

I have broken plastic on chest protectors (oops, roost deflectors) during hard crashes, but rarely. Still, I think something specifically designed for use in winter weather would be less likely to get brittle and break.

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
Wow, thanks a lot for those links! I plan to wear the 'roost deflector' under my jacket, but over a t-shirt. Will one of these be potentially comfortable when worn like that? I've never worn one so I don't know how they're supposed to be used.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Winter rules,

I wear my regular plastic "roost deflector" during the winter (snowmobile) and summer on my dirtbike.

These things really do help to spread out the impact from handlebars and whatever else might hit you (tree limbs, etc). I am sure that I would have had broken ribs a couple of times if I wasn't wearing the protector.

Top Bottom