what do you think of the crf150f?

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
anybody riding in nva?

hello
i just posted something about the crf, but i realized it wasnt the bike i was after. but anyway, anybody who lives in nva and rides id like to say hi!

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
wroof said:
hey just curious, what is the ride difference with the 150r and 150f?

The CRF150R is a race bike, primarily for motocross. High revving, lots of power, better suspension, better brakes, more maintenance, lighter than a 150F (165 lbs.), etc. Costs more than the 150F (MSRP around $4200).

The CRF150F is a offroad trail bike. Less HP, smoother/softer power for riding trails, softer offroad suspension, electric start available, less maintenance, heavier than the 150R (223 lbs.), etc. (MSRP around $3100).

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
nikki said:
The CRF150R is a race bike, primarily for motocross. High revving, lots of power, better suspension, better brakes, more maintenance, lighter than a 150F (165 lbs.), etc. Costs more than the 150F (MSRP around $4200).

The CRF150F is a offroad trail bike. Less HP, smoother/softer power for riding trails, softer offroad suspension, electric start available, less maintenance, heavier than the 150R (223 lbs.), etc. (MSRP around $3100).

thanks.
i actually saw an ad for a 150 running for 2100$ and i thought it was the 150R hahah turned out i didnt see the F in the wordy part of the ad.

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
The CRF150F is heavy as a son of a b! Way heavier than my man's CR125. It rides great and you can take out the engine and put in a 230, but it is heavy heavy heavy. Picking it up is a damn exercise. So really, you avoid falling because you don't want to have to pick it up. Makes me think they put the electric start on there because after you pick it up there is no way you would have enough energy to kick start it!! LOL

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
The 150r is a really good bike for vertically challenged women. It has a lot of power down low but almost none up top. My girlfriend is 5'2" she had a cr80 at first but after watching her riding style I bought here the crf150r. She actually prefered the cr80 because it was more forgiving down low and she would never hit the power band. She bump started her 150r like I taught her to do on the 80 and ended up on her butt. Since then she has been a little intimidated by the 150r.

I know once she has some more seat time on the 150r and learns to sit a little further up towards the tank she will enjoy it more. She used to always stall the 80 the 150 she has yet to stall. One thing she really like about the 150 is it's light very similiar to the cr80. Easy for her to pick up and start on her own.

I'd say the 150r is an intermidiate level bike, it really depends on the riding style of the user.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
justalonewolf007 said:
Huh? I read they were 180? That's only 10 pounds less than a 125...

The CRF150R is listed as a dry weight of 165 lbs., and 183 lbs. with gas/fluids (aka curb weight).

The CR125R is listed as a dry weight of 197 lbs., which would be around 220 lbs. with gas/fluids (curb weight).

Plus the 150R is a lot smaller than the 125, so there is more weight lower to the ground, which I think makes it feel that much more lighter than a big bike (like a 125 or 250F).

Here are a few other weights for comparison purposes:

CR85R - dry weight 144 lbs., curb weight around 163 lbs.
CRF150F (w/elec start) - dry weight 223 lbs., curb weight 236 lbs.
CRF250R - dry weight 204 lbs., curb weight 227 lbs.

HeidiB

Mar 7, 2006
My son has the 150F and it sure doesn't feel heavy when riding it. It has a nice planted feel to it. I think it's a great bike. Well built and doesn't have the playbike feel. Doesn't feel cramped like the TTR125 or KX100. It is lacking in power but when riding the tight stuff, it's totally fine.
I am very impressed with the bike.

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
I love my CRF150F, but it is a heavy bike. I don't really mind the weight, until I dump it in the woods during my 5th lap of a Hare Scramble. Then it really feels heavy. BUT, the electric start is a decent exchange for not having to kick start it after picking it up after dumping it. If you can keep the bike upright, the weight is less of an issue. :)

limeygirl

Oct 13, 2009
Hey everyone I'm Sarah new to the site. I had a CRF 150f as my first major bike 18 months ago and I loved learning on it but picked up the sport much quicker than I anticipated lol and found it wayyy to heavy and wanted to get more into MX so sold that and picked up a KTM 105sx which is much lighter but a lot more power!!!

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
I really don't know much about KTMs. Is that a 2 stroke? Is it an mx bike or set up for the woods? What size wheels? How's it working out for you?

denbsteph

Mar 9, 2009
I have a 06 150F and love it!. I wish it had more power, but when you are in the woods going through the trees you can only go so fast. I took the bike to West Virgina last October, up around Welch. At first I had some doubts about keeping up with all the 650,750 quads and the cr 450, yz 250, kx 450, ktm 144 and several other bikes, but once we got going I was right on there tail. No Lie, I beat the devil out of that bike all weekend and she never sputtered. If you google Mods for the Bike there is a sight that does some serious work on it, I like the baja light kit and the jetting but $800.00 for a shock? I'll deal with the soft suspension, doesnt bother me. I like the bike alot. If I was to get something else it will be the WR 250F, however the 150f will stay with me, Love that bike. Remember its the rider that makes the bike. If you can't ride, the bike is wasting its time under you, that's a fact!

I have to add this, When we were in Welch, we stopped to get gas. We had rode 42 miles to this point. Went to fill her up, I put a whole $1.42 in her, 1/2 gallon of gas. I started laughing, could not believe it. I ride a FZ1 on the street, and she sucks the
gas.

D.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
nikki said:
The CRF150R is a race bike, primarily for motocross. High revving, lots of power, better suspension, better brakes, more maintenance, lighter than a 150F (165 lbs.), etc.

I am looking at Honda's website right now for the 2009 CRF150RE and it weighs in at 187 pounds. The CRF150R (smaller wheels) weighs in at 183 pounds "curb weight". Where do you get 165? Even factoring in gas and oil I can't get 165 up to 187.

I am back in the market for a suitable bike for my daughter. She got tired of the quad so last year I bought her a TTR-125LE. Now she's pushing that bike past its limits so I need something a bit better.

The problem is that she is short (5' 2") and heavy (which I am not going to post on the Internet!). She is very athletic though.

Rod

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I am looking at Honda's website right now for the 2009 CRF150RE and it weighs in at 187 pounds. The CRF150R (smaller wheels) weighs in at 183 pounds "curb weight". Where do you get 165? Even factoring in gas and oil I can't get 165 up to 187.

I am back in the market for a suitable bike for my daughter. She got tired of the quad so last year I bought her a TTR-125LE. Now she's pushing that bike past its limits so I need something a bit better.

The problem is that she is short (5' 2") and heavy (which I am not going to post on the Internet!). She is very athletic though.

Rod

Back in 2007 (when I first replied to this thread), Honda listed their bike weights as the dry weights. The dry weight of a CRF150R is 165 lbs. Now Honda lists curb weights, which is 183 lbs. for the CRF150R. This is with a full tank of gas and fluids (coolant/oil). A little over 2 gallons of fluid would be 18 lbs. (depending on density).

Anyways, here is a link to the Honda site with the 165 lbs. dry weight (and the RB big wheel is 170 lbs.). I am not making this up ;)

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=200706073678

And another, with both the dry and wet weight.....

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/honda/off-road/2009/crf-reg/150r/detail.html

As far as a bike for your daughter, is she riding MX or trails, or a mix? At 5'2", she would probably be most comfortable on an 85/105 if you're looking to switch to a two-stroke, or maybe a 150R/RB if you're looking to stay with a four-stroke, but get more power. The 85/150R has 14"/17" wheels, the 105/150RB has 16"/19" wheels. She should fit okay on either at 5'2", if still growing, I would recommend the big wheel version for sure.

As for the Hondas, we own both a CRF150R (which I turned into a RB) and a CRF150F. The 150RB is my hare scrambles bike, and at 5'5" I absolutely LOVE this bike for racing in the woods. The power is very strong, pretty similar to my CRF250R, which I race for MX. But the smaller 150 bike size is a lot easier for me in the woods, even though I am a little cramped on it, but trying to make it more comfy (taller seat, bar risers, lower pegs, etc.).

The 150F is my husband's play bike, for racing the "thumper" class at a local hare scramble series. The thumper class is an adult class, but on smaller air cooled bikes up to 150cc's. The 150RB and 150F have the same size tires (16"/19"), and similar seat heights, so my 6'4" 235 lb. husband looks a little silly on it, but he has fun racing his buddies in that class. :ride:

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
nikki said:
As far as a bike for your daughter, is she riding MX or trails, or a mix? At 5'2", she would probably be most comfortable on an 85/105 if you're looking to switch to a two-stroke, or maybe a 150R/RB if you're looking to stay with a four-stroke, but get more power. The 85/150R has 14"/17" wheels, the 105/150RB has 16"/19" wheels. She should fit okay on either at 5'2", if still growing, I would recommend the big wheel version for sure.

My daughter is 21 and hasn't grown any for the last 8 years.....

Our entire family started this dirt bike hobby about 5 years ago. We started off with a bike my son & I shared and a small quad (Yamaha Breeze) my wife and daughter shared. My daughter surprised me at how well she could make that little quad perform so I bought her a Honda 400ex so she would have something with a decent suspension.

We ride the desert, and a few years ago joined a club that has a monthly "outing" where they put on a club mini enduro. My daughter would ride the powder puff version on her quad and basically cleaned up so she started riding in the kids class against the bikes. She did really well at that and decided that she wanted to try a bike.

My wife also wanted to try a bike and since she is also vertically challenged I bought the TTR-125LE. The electric start was essential for my wife. The first day on the bike my daughter rode the beginner enduro and finished it. Didn't win, but it was a fairly tough course for a mini. Last weekend she took first place again, so now she is looking at joining the big boys as a novice.

On Sunday I took her on a bit of the enduro course the club had put together to see how she would do on the hills. She really surprised me! She complained that the suspension bottomed out a few times, which doesn't surprise me at all.

I keep thinking four stroke electric start but maybe I shouldn't sell her short. I know where there is a 85 two stroke that I can borrow for a while if I rebuild the top end, so maybe I will give her a shot on that.

Rod

Top Bottom