What happened... kickstarter not engaging...

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Wow, this is a first. Was trying to get my KDX 250 started today (to finally do the winter storage), and had a tough time starting it. (Bike was probably frozen, really cold here this week).

After 15 solid kicks (w/out starting), the kick starter didn't engage but on the next kick it did. Then it didn't engage about every 5 kicks. What have I broken? Where do I start? Every happen to you?

Bruce

(Yes got it going after dumping premix down the cylinder and putting fresh plug in.)

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
hmmmmmmm.... found this after doing a search.

"If your KDX kickstarter is difficult to use, slipping past the ratchet mechanism and slamming into the footpeg instead of spinning the motor over, it's because your oil is too thick. KDX kickstarters are sensitive to gearbox oil weight for some reason, and you will notice that the problem is worst when the oil is cold and thickest."

It was dam cold, so the oil would have been REAL thick. Does this make sense?

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
when my kdx220 is cold it usually doesn't start for about 15-25 kicks. I even usually leave it in our garage with the furnace on for about a hour or so to warm it up. my kickstarter hits my footpeg too, but it never disengages from the engine. im not sure if it hits the footpeg all the time because I only seem to notice it when im having trouble starting the bike. so mabye theres a connection between the 2. in the summer it starts fine unless my bike has sat for a week or two.

why would the kickstarter not engage because of the gearbox oil? if you started it with the bike in nuetral, then the kickstarter shouldnt have any resistance from the gearbox at all. am i right?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
TK, If your bike takes 15-25 kicks to start when cold, your winter pilot circuit jetting is way off. You ought to consider bumping the pilot at least one size richer. Another technique is to temporarily turn the air screw about one turn richer to start the bike on a cold day and then back it out to the usual setting once you get it warmed up. The relationship between oil viscosity and kickstarter function in cold weather is a well known KDX issue. I suspect wear on the ratchet plays a part, since newer bikes have a period of relative immunity, but going to a thinner oil like Type F ATF will usually make the problem completely disappear.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
My KDX always starts between 2 & 4 kicks and has never had a dis-engagement problem, so imagine my shock & horror when my bike had the dreaded DIS-ENGAGEMENT slip on its' third kick this weekend.
It hadn't been started for a month and it was 15 degrees F outside.
It did start on the 4th kick with a little less umpfh on lever (bike has Mobil 1 15w50)
Man I'm glad you guys had previously documented this in previous threads or I would have split the cases in bad owner guilt.
Instead I'll either wait until it's warmer or change to ATF.
Thanks KDX forum! :yeehaw: :aj: :yeehaw:

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Good point Jim... I too was horrified when my bike's kickstarter didn't engage this weekend, figuring a lot of work and possible more expense than I wanted. Thanks to BRush, I was jumping for joy that it could be just the cold weather blues... the day I tried to start it, it was about 5 degrees f in the garage (just a guess since we use celsius and it was minus 26 outside).

When I reviewed the information on previous posts I quickly told my wife how my subscription to DRN had once again paid for itself several times over.

Top Bottom