What I have been up to lately ..

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Last spring, I joined Team DBBL as team mechanic and alternate/emergency rider for the 43rd Tecate Baja 1000 run in November 2010. I was stoked and astonished with the amount of planning and prepping that goes into this type of race. I have been involved with many forms of racing throughout my career but never on this scale, definitely an experience of a lifetime!

We arrived in Ensenada several days before the race to get things organized and get the riders acclimated to the terrain with a few days of pre-running. Two days [Nov 15,2010] before the race was my turn to pre-run [just in case I was called into duty] a 40mi section. After about 10mi of 5/6th gear pinned dirt roads on the KTM 450rfs the "trail" entered the desert and I lost the front end in a silty left hand turn. I was slammed into the ground [helmet video on my You tube] and thought I just had the wind knocked out of me.

After a brief break to gather my wits, Tom [teammate/primary rider] and I continued as we needed to meet the chase van and crew. As time and the miles went on, it became obvious that I suffered more than just getting the wind knocked out of me. Every rock, rut and bump HURT. Trying to "muscle" the bike around became difficult and HURT. I was experiencing minor discomfort when taking a deep breath. What was to be a late afternoon ride of a lifetime also became my first "night ride" and we finally made it to the end of the run where the chase van was there waiting for us. Thank God that we intended for the other guys to do a night run and rider change practice, so the pre-bikes had their HID lights installed [the actual "race" bike was back at the rental house prepped and ready for the race] and the guys were ready for us. The rest of the night [and weeks to follow] was quit painful and when we returned to the house I had our Team Medic [EMT/Fireman from AZ] check me out. He pushed,poked and listened while i grunted, moaned and bitched. It was determined that I did not puncture a lung or anything and probably bruised some ribs. He [of course] said that I should have a doctor check me out but I refused and let him off the hook. I was not going to derail this undertaking or any of the other teammates dreams for the Baja.

So, my short lived dream of racing the Baja 1000 was over and I assumed my primary duties as Team Mechanic.

The plan went on as scheduled, we raced, I drove one of the 2 chase vans and performed my duties, and we finished the 1061 miles to LaPaz, Mexico. We spent a few well earned days at a nice resort in LaPaz before the 2 day drive back to San Diego for the flight back to Atlanta. I went to my doctor an found out that I had broken 3 ribs and bruised several. I was able to return to riding after 10 weeks and racing 3 weeks ago.

A few weeks ago I was asked to "wrench" for a Duo Team at this years 24hr Challenge in Alabama. Since I had performed the same duties for Team DBBL at the Baja 1000 last November, I thought this would be a piece of cake.
NOT ... This race is every bit as grueling [without the logistical headaches of coordinating chase crews and riders] and demanding on the riders.

The race began at 10:00am Sat. morning and we all made it on two 15-20 minute power naps during hours 18-22. The two riders [Brandt Sanderlin/Charlie Baldwin] were nothing short of supermen, ringing out consistent lap times and switching every two laps. In the beginning hours they were knocking off 25-27 minute laps on the 10mi course. In the waning hours they were turning out 35 minute laps and the only team in the class not taking sleep breaks.

The strategy proved to be successful as the guys moved up to the 5th in class spot around 10pm, 3rd around 1am and finally 1st around 3am. The guys stretched their lead to 1.5hrs and was able to wait the final 15 minutes with the other class leaders 30ft from the finish to avoid an extra lap as this was a race to the flag event. The official announced it's 10am and the waiting riders made their way and my guy claimed the teams victory in the DUO class and 27th overall!

Notables at this race were John "junkyard dog" Dowd and Mike "brownie" Brown.

I will try to put up some race reports for the races to come. The last one [1st in nearly a year] a few weeks ago was in Sparta GA, which I finished 12th in class. Next weekend is the next race in the SORCS series and my 2nd in the 45+ class. It is in the same area so I hope to improve on my finishing position.

I didn't intend for this to be a ride report, rather an update ... I guess it is the same! LOL :blah: :blah: :blah:

Last edited:

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Papakeith said:
nice low side ;)
Yes it was!! I was laughing so hard I nearly crashed!

I have video of the full 40 mile run, You Toob would only allow a 10minute version. The rest of the video has me grunting with every bump, rock and rut through the northern Baja desert.
My wife couldn't watch the whole thing, she said my grunting and groaning was too much to keep from laughing!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good job Wrench. I'll try to watch the video this weekend. Nice report.

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
This is the spot where I crashed approximately RM40 :yell:

mail

Top Bottom