What is the easiest way to tell if the KIPS is working properly?

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
I bought a 1996 KDX200 about a month ago and just had a chance to ride it this weekend. The bike is like new with little wear on it.

I had to ride it like I was riding my YZ125. On the gas all the time. I didn't think this was normal for a KDX200. It just had no low end power. I rejetted and set my float level and all seems well in that area..

I pulled the little (actually about an inch round) screw on the left side of the motor in front of the box that says "KIPS", I could see the gear mechanism in there. My question is (and I know I took a while to get to it) when I rev the bike should the mechanism moved back and forth? It didn't move at all. I was thinking that the valve may not be opperating properly (stuck open) and this would make it have no low end. Am I right with this assumption?

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Boy your lucky low end power of a 125 most the time it’s more like an 80 but that is a sure sign of a power valve problem

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
So does the 200 just not have that much bottom end and need to be revved to the moon?

I have to order a manual but I haven't found one yet.

I know someone can tell me a way to tell if the KIPS are working without having to pull them apart.

On a Yamaha you can remove the right side cover. On a Honda you can remove the left side cover.

Anyone?

Any help is appreciated :yeehaw:

Last edited:

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Thanks, that is a great article. I think i should be able to disassemble the top end and clean the KIPS just by using that article.

I have done Honda and Yamahas a lot and this systems seems pretty straight forward. I just wanted to make sure that there were no secrects that I need to know.

I am pretty sure mine are not working properly. I know the previous owner never cleaned them.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
yz250flash said:
I just wanted to make sure that there were no secrects that I need to know.

The only secret I can think of is that the nut on the top of the actuator shaft is left hand theaded and if you push down the rubber boot there is a slot in the shaft for a 6mm wrench to support it why removing the nut.

One more thing you may want to check is the pin that rides in the govenor to actuate the shaft in the right side case. I had one break a couple years ago and float around in the tranny I got lucky and it didn't cause an damage.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Where is the pin located? On the right side but not in the bottom end correct? Is it behind a cover?

How do I get to it to see if it is sheered?

I can't remember how my YZ was but it seems that the actuator was in the outer right side case. Is it the same for the KDX. I am not at home so I can't look right now. man I wish I had a manual.

Last edited:

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Thanks - I tried repairmanuals .com and all they had was the factory service manual. Before I ordered that I wanted to make sure that the Clymer was not available. I have since ordered one (service manual) but would like to work on the bike this weekend so thanks to all for being patient with my questions. I did a search but didn't find the answers I needed.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Well, I am happy to report that my KIPS is now functioning properly. :) I started on it Friday night figuring on a weekend projection (taking my time of course). I was pleasently surprised when I removed the right side cover of the actuator shaft, that the nut had come loose and that the little thing that looks like the end of a rake was just not activating the gear. I tighten it up, put it back together and all is well.

This is the first time I can remember a project that I expected to take a weekend only took an hour. It is usually the other way around. My hour projects end up taking a weekend.

Thanks for all the help!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom