What is the purpose of the tiny hole in the front of the piston?

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
What does it do?!
kdx200sr model (usd)

*i took a picture but the site wont let me post links yet

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
A few things. Primarily, it allows some charge directly under the piston crown for cooling. Also acts as an additional transfer port, allowing more charge into the crankcase. I have run windowed and non-windowed pistons in my 200 and honestly do not notice a difference between the two from a performance perspective.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
lol, found a new place to cause trouble?

No difference either way that I have seen. Of course, obviously it's there for a reason on some pistons. There's plenty of theory's out there on the interwebs, but not much solid. I've thought about playing around with window sizes and placement, but just never found the time. Not sure it would be worth the effort anyway.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
If you are talking about the front or exhaust side and the cylinder has an exhaust bridge then it is for lubrication and cooling. This works well on two strokes.
If you are talking about the intake side then it is to get more fuel into the cylinder The bigger the hole the bigger the transfers need to be then the more compression then the bigger the exhaust needs to be then the better the ignition need to be and so on and so on.

I have built lots of 125's with big holes in the intake side of the piston

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010

Please note how I'm only getting decent answers straight away :), I think theres something in the water over at KDXrider :coocoo:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Mmhmm. We'll see how long that lasts. One thing I've learned over the years: No matter where you go, there you are.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…