pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Ok, maybe this is a stupid question, but it is driving me nuts! :eek:

On the right side of my KDX 200, there is a bent piece of metal hanging off of the frame. It is right below the side panel. What is it? What is it for? My dad and I are going crazy trying to figure out why in the world it is there.

Here is a link to a pic of it with the piece I am talking about circled in red:

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/data/500/6410k_kdx200_ST_800.jpg

Thanks! :laugh:

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
It is a handle as far as I know. Some people have cut theirs off, but I use mine all the time to lift the bike on my stand and swing the back end around. Do you just have one, because I have two, one on each side. Do a search for more info because I know that there have been a few discussions about what they are and their use.

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
It's meant to be used as a place to put your hand (i.e. a handle) when lifting the bike. I thank Mr. Kawasaki every time I use it to lift my scooter:)

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
It's a handle to lift the bike up on to a centre stand, it's a bit awkward at first to get used to but it is there for a reason.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
If you wrap a hefty branch up in the wheel, thay tend to keep the side plastic from fragging.
That's my theory, i'm 'sticking' to it..

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I vote for the pipe guard/grab handle. Let's name it. How about Whatzit. :joke:

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
OK...OK...now I'm being serious. Take a look at a picture of a completely stock KDX. The stock exhaust pipe is right behind it. My impression is that it is a brace or guard for the stock pipe...take a look...I dare ya to... :clue:

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
it is probably there to keep a passengers leg from hitting the pipe or getting between the pipe and swingarm

passengers ? you say-

Yes, in most parts of the world outside the US the KDX would be street legal and be set up to carry a passenger- or two.
At lest that is waht it looks like to me- the new Buell has almost the same thing on it for that purpose

01KX250Rider

Mar 29, 2004
talk about shooting beer out the nose...This whole thread is funnier than hell...and i agree with all of the above...it is for your seatbelt to be fastened too and also doubles as a pipegaurd/handle thing-a-ma-bobby but when viewed from the left at 45 degrees it is quite an interesting conversation piece...oh yeah, and it is good for towing out the orange and red bikes...hehe !!! ( i think i'm gonna weld on on my KX now, see ya)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's handy as a handle. I recall it being referred to as a guard to keep branches and stuff from ripping your pipe off.

If it WAS a handle, there would surely be a likewise part on the left side....everyone being so politically correct these days and not wanting to hurt any left-hander's feelings.

Don't ask where the LH kicker is..........;)

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
canyncarvr said:
If it WAS a handle, there would surely be a likewise part on the left side....everyone being so politically correct these days and not wanting to hurt any left-hander's feelings.

Yeah, like me! :eek:

I never reach down that far when I pick my bike up. And I guess the fact that I pick it up on the other side makes a difference.

I say we make it an acronym like MILF: Motorcycle Interframe Lifting Facilitator!

:yeehaw:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
If it WAS a handle, there would surely be a likewise part on the left side....everyone being so politically correct these days and not wanting to hurt any left-hander's

Uh, :think: I believe there is one on the left

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom