kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
When I bought this used ('95 200) it already had a Rad Valve on it . I'm doing the top end now, so when I ordered parts, I also got replacement reeds. Well, I just got 'em, and they're the same except the old ones have 2 mounting screw holes and the new ones have 3 holes. What's up with that? The Rad Valve has '14XA' stamped on it and the reeds are 'RL-19'. According to my parts catalog, these are the right reeds for the right Rad Valve. I don't understand. :think: Help?

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Mate, the correct boysen reeds for the 14XA rad valve is #RL-16 (not 19), or the PRO series reeds PRO-54.
You didn't get standard Kawasaki reeds did you?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Bet you got replacement carbon reeds for the stock cage? NOT for the rad valve?

Andrew..what are the 19s listed for in your documentation?

Odd thing is, I recall (I think) the radvalve for the kdx having three hole mounts per reed, not two.

Boyesen doesn't list products on their website...rockymtn has the parts, but not the numbers! But then, THEIR pics show stock rev plates on a radvalve..so what does THAT tell you..... I'll check my radvalve (in the box cuz I don't use it anymore..heh heh) when I get home.

signed
yet another dayposter......

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Thanx for your help! I checked my catalog again (TJ PARTS EXPRESS) and RL-19 is listed for the 14XA. There is no RL-16 at all in this book,though I made a note of it. The valve has 14XA stamped on it & a Boyesen sticker, so I'm assuming it's a Rad Valve. It only has 2 screw holes. The funny thing is the RL-19's are exactly like the old ones except w/ 3 holes. I just drilled new holes in 'em & used them. Oh well, maybe next time I'll just throw the thing away & get a...a...what kind did you say you had, C.C.? Thanks again for your help. :D
P.S. - I know they're not for the stock cage either, 'cause I made that mistake already also. :(

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Guess that's why some people have so few worries over 'stuff'. I'd NEVER drill holes in I don't know WHAT kind of reeds used for WHAT under an impression that they were the same except for the holes.

I looked last night...didn't find a boyesen PN in the catalog I ordered my replacement reeds from. Why not call boyesen and ask them?

800-441-1177, 610-756-6818

That from their website.

***edit*** Hold the phone..I just remembered I have my old reeds sitting here at my so-called day job. They have TWO mounting holes in each reed..NOT three.

Just 'cuz they look the same, doesn't mean they are. I'd wonder 'bout that.

I changed to a MotoTassinari DeltaForceII (light grey in color, adjustable reed tension). Dang! What an improvement. I noticed yesterday that the radvalve has dropped in price a bunch! Hhhmmm...wonder why that is??

Last edited:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
They fit a CR250. One of my buds has one with a rad valve. I e-mailed Boyesen & asked them what ill effects they may have (difference in tension?). I will call TJ Parts Express, but I want to know exactly what I'm talking about before I do the TAZ on 'em (they also sent me the wrong chain for the TTR125 about a month ago! That's ok though - I got a free chain that fits the PW80). I just went through the whole bike - new top end, greased all bearings (replaced a couple), new brakes, and a few other small things that were buggered. I'll get it runnin' tomorrow. It'll be just like a new bike (a new KDX-CR hybrid, that is). :silly: Thank you for your concern on such a small matter, 'carver.
Oh yeah - DELTA FORCE II OR BUST!!

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't know how far north n. cal is, but you owe yourself a weekend on john's peak up here. Going to be closed for fire season pretty quick, so don't load up for the trip three weeks from now.....but this weekend is good!! I'll send you a map/directions when you make your plans for the trip!

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
:| pro-54 reeds go in the rad valve, nothing like getting the wrong parts for a good price!!

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
sorry for the late reply , fellers. I too had trouble working out which reeds to put in my 14X rad valve, couldn't locate the "rad valve accessory list" mentioned on their web site, so I emailed them.

#RL 16 or PRO 54 is what they told me. I got the PRO 54's for $90 AU (about $50 US).

The 14X has two holes, my stock cage has three. It's my guess the #RL 19 is the power reed for the stock cage, not the RAD valve.

Or...maybe they gave the wrong information??

Last edited:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
C.C.- Believe me, I owe myself a weekend anywhere! John's Peak sounds excellent. Too late for this weekend, as it's already Sat. night as I speak. Next few weekends are full also. I would like to come ASAP and likewise if you're ever in my neck of the woods, Sled Ridge/Penny Pines in the Mendocino Nat'l Forest is the ticket! Let me know. I live in the 'Wine Country' 100 mi's north of San Francisco. Got my bike goin' - Don't know if it was the top end, cleaning the P.V.'s, installing the CEL needle, or so foolishly installing CR250 reeds, but THIS DOG HUNTS like it never did before.

Sage - Hook, line, & sinker! Reel me in, I'm ready to experience competence. If a catalog is available, please P.M. me for an address.

Andrew - You are absolutely correct with the part #'s. Boyesen e-mailed me back to confirm. Still waiting for a reply from TJ Parts Express. Thanx for your help and g'day to ya!!

Top Bottom