What kind of bike should I get?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Here's all my info:

1. 5'7, 180 lbs.

2. I'm about a 7 on a scale from 1-10, 10 being most aggressive.

3. I plan to ride in trails and in woods, but I also want to be able to take my bike to the track and have some fun doing jumps.

4. My first bike was a 1994 Suzuki dual sport 650. That was a fun bike. Hehe, I'd pull some mini jumps and hit bottom every time. Yeah I know, 650 isn't the bike for jumps but it was my first bike. Then I had a 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 500 street bike. It was so much easier to ride because it was lower to the ground. Then I got my motorcyle driver's license. Then, last year, I got a 2007 Suzuki GXSR 750. That bike was awesome. Was a rush everytime. I ended up selling it cause the insurance+payments were too much. Now, I've gotten all into hiking and stuff. I just bought a 2004 Z71 Tahoe. So I plan on doing some dirt trails around New Mexico and Colorado. However, I still want a bike that is capable of doing some jumps. Oh I just remembered, I've ridden a 1992 honda 125, 2 stroke. Just went on a trail, nothing serious. That was fun.

5. I doubt I'll ever race.

6. I'm not mechanically inclined. However, I know the basics. I used to have a pair of cherries on the old suburban, which made the exhaust sound like a harley. But as for taking an engine apart, no. I do want to learn. I want to work on my own bike, and I'm a fast learner. I think working on a bike would make me relax. Plus, if anything goes wrong, I want to be able to fix it myself instead of paying an arm and a leg at some mechanic.

7. From my understanding, 2 strokes require fuel mixing, while 4 strokes just take regular gasoline. So I'd take the 4 stroke for convenience. Also, I'm thinking that 2 strokes have more torque than 4 strokes but 4 strokes have more power, is this correct? Either way, I've heard that 4 strokes are more appropriate for beginners. Which one is louder, 2 or 4 stroke? What do you guys think? Although I do love raw torque hehe. As for brand, I guess I kinda like Suzuki at the moment, and, for some reason, I just don't like Honda.

8. I live in San Antonio, TX, which is a fairly large city. I'm sure I won't have any trouble finding a dealer of any brand.

9. I plan on spending anywhere from $2000-$4000 on a bike. I also wanna get one of those hitch mounting things for my tahoe. It comes with a ramp and the bike secure behind the rear door of the tahoe. I think they run about $189.

10. I don't like in California, but I was there a few weeks ago. I hit Yosemite, that places rocks.

11. 27 yrs old.

12. So yeah, I want a bike that's great for trails and jumps. I learn rather quickly so I don't want to get an underpowered bike and have to upgrade it later. From what I've heard, I'm currently thinking of a 1999-2002 Suzuki 250 4 stroke.

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
yea a 250 4 stroke would be good. any brand is really good. just be careful w/ used ones. ask him about any maintmence he has done that he should have. thumpers need alot of work.

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Consider this:
Your about the perfect size for an RM-250, but because your not going to race, a trail thumper may be a better choice. Although a big tank RM-250 2 stroke may still be a great idea.

The DRZ-250 4 stroke is just a more modern XR-250, ie better cooling and electric start. Plus the power is pretty smooth. And then there's the DRZ-400 4 stroke. It's heavier, and it won't like taking any big MX jumps, but it's perfect for everything else.

4 strokes do have a wider power band, and the trail oriented bikes have a very smooth power curve, and their the lowest maintenance. So for low maintenance and max fun, get a good used DRZ-250 or 400 and hit the trails!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…