Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I need new brake pads front and rear. I was at the bike place today and the shop guy told me the metal sintered onces will wear out your rotors, but they last longer than the standard pads. I ride in mud and basically anything, so I need long lasting pads. I don't wanna need new rotors every time I change pads though, so what work best?

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
Can't really say what works best, but I would like to comment on the metallic pads. I put a set of these on my RM250 a while back, would never buy another set. Besides wearing the rotor faster, they cut my braking power by a guesstimated 30%. Only good thing about them, they did smooth out the light grooving in my rotor!

Bruce

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
My bike had the metal ones on the rear when I got it and it was already terribly grooved, as in the center part of the disk was about 2mm thick and the outer part was 4. I let it wear down to metal to metal then bought a new rotor and a set of EBC standard pads. No metal for me.

TOFAS4YOU

Jan 4, 2002
TRY BUYING A SOLID REAR ROTOR IF YOU RIDE IN MUD I ONLY REPLACED MY REAR BRAKES ONCE A YEAR WE RIDE ON EVER SUNDAY ,RAIN NOR SNOW KEEPS ME FROM RIDING ,BUT FARE WARNING BRAKES ARE NOISY WITH A SOLID REAR DISK

chirpy999

May 31, 2001
Rear Solid discs

I find it amazing you get ayears life out of rear pads , what make are you using?
Ive got a solid rear disc on my x400 and am using armstrong pads they ve been in for about 3 rides no way will they last another 11 months.:(

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The standard replacement that most people use at the track is EBC mxs. They are sintered metal, basically a stock replacement. Stock Honda brakes are hard to beat! For a 01cr250 you need the mxs185 in front and mxs 131 rear. With these, there is no more, no less rotor wear.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I know the stock Honda pads are great, but they wear out very fast. That's the only reason I don't get them again, but who knows I might end up doing that.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I just ordered EBC Sintered metals for my front; do these things really wear out your rotors? Maybe I should send them back and get the kevlar’s. :think Is there any additional maintenance to keep these things from grooving the rotors?
Dave

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the most common wear I've seen on rotors is in the middle (cupping) this is because there's more force applied by the pad to the center due to the caliper. Sintered metal pads will wear the center much faster if you let them wear down to almost nothing. If you watch them and replace when they start getting worn you can make rotors last much longer. A solid rotor will extend pad life if you run in muddy conditions, this is because there are no voids for grit to get into to cause excessive wear. If you don't run mud alot there's a danger of heat checking on solid rotors because they don't cool as fast as drilled or slotted. I run sintered pads on slotted rotors for mud, haven't have a problem yet, check your brake pins to see that they aren't worn, if they're worn the pads may not retract normally causing brake sticking that wears pads faster. After every ride take your pads loose and clean them, and grease the pins. Good maintenance pays off.

Top Bottom