What makes CDI go bad?

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I currently had to take my bike to our local racing shop(not the dealer) Because my bike was"frying" plugs and then wouldnt spark. I got a call, that its going to cost me 260 dollars! for te CDI was bad. I just have no idea what makes a CDI go bad cause it was just, "all of a sudden"

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
do you mean it was fouling plugs-ie they come out all black and wet?if so its the jetting thats wrong not the cdi-be carefull as some dealers cannot be trusted.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
no, read above, i did not take it to the dealer. It was killing plugs. I would put a plug in and 2 days later it was bad, had to put a new one in. Now it wouldnt spark on any plug. And its jetted correctly ;)

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Were you using a non-resistor plug when a resistor plug is called for? I've heard that can cause the CDI to go out.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I will start over.

About 2 weeks ago, my nike would not start. I finnaly checked the plug, (the one i had in it when i bought it, 2 months old) and it was not sparking. I figured the plug was 2 months old its gone bad. I bought to new plugs, the ones reccomened for my bike, resitors, and proprly gaped. Put one in, away I went, three days later same thing. Threw a new plug in, away I went. Finnaly last week, it would not spark on ANY plug. I consuled the manual, looked for lose wires, etc. No luck. I called the local dealer, they said 80 bucks to LOOK at it, I said $#%^ it. So i too it to my local racing shop, (down and dirt racing, not that it matters lol) And they had another 2000 cr250 there, and swapped electrical componets, and when they swaped the CDI, it started right up. So the CDI is bad, but I am just curious as to why they go bad. My bike is maintained, clean periotically ;) and air filer and oil ever 3 rides.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
CDIs are just like any electrical device-they occasionally break without warning or reason.I repair dialysis machines for a living and we often get brand new $20000 machines break down from brand new.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…