what pipe fmf desert or woods

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
I was wonder what is the difference between the FMF Gnarly desert and woods pipe? or is the PC pipe the best pipe for the KDX 220.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
The gnarly desert is basically the rev pipe, a little less torque, more top end. The woods pipe is the gnarly torque, more torque, less top end.
"Tastes great, Less filling, No, Less filling, tastes great !!"
JMO......

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It will pretty much come down to your opinion...what you want. Some searching on this forum will get you a whole lotta responses with just that info. Check it out.

Start with: What do you want?

That will include, how do you ride, where do you ride, what do you need your bike to do.

A couple of things to keep in mind.......

The pipe of choice from anyone is just that...their choice. Maybe it won't suit you.

A 200 isn't at all the same as a 220 (yep..it's true!!;) ). You have a 220. Consider that a 220 comes oem with a 33mm carb, the 200 with a 35mm. Beside the larger bore being a pertinent issue, the port timing between the two bikes is NOT the same. The 220 has a better bottom-end than the 200, but it doesn't have the top-end of the 200.

If you want more on the bottom (and your choice is the FmF pipe), then the -35 (torque) is your choice.

If you want more on the top, then the -30 (rev) is your choice.

...but that's just about the pipe.

A 36mm carb on your 220 would improve the top end (still not to the level of the 200 due to the timing issue). With that PLUS a -35 pipe on your 220 to add to the existing good bottom-end you would get a boost on both sides!

Stuff like that. It matters what the pipe is combined with..and where you need your bike to work best.

If your riding is in 4-5&6 gear..then get a -30 (rev). If you're in 1-2&3 more of the time...then a -35 (torque) would probably be a better choice.

BTW...the -35 is a WHOLE lot smaller pipe than the -30. Probably not something to consider under purchasing do's and don'ts, but the -30 sticks out there purty good!

The PC pipe is closer to the -30 than it is to the -35.

Watch all the bogus adjectives...desert-mountain-burly-gnarly etc etc. You have exactly TWO choices when it comes to FmF and the kdx: -30 and -35. They both have the same type effect on the two kdxs. I've seen catalogs that list only the -30 for the 220...and call it a torque pipe to boot!!

PooP! Isn't true. Just the two. -30 for the top, -35 for the bottom.

Gee....guess I've beat that pretty much to death, 'eh?

Good luck!

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
"If your riding is in 4-5&6 gear..then get a -30 (rev). If you're in 1-2&3 more of the time...then a -35 (torque) would probably be a better choice.

BTW...the -35 is a WHOLE lot smaller pipe than the -30. Probably not something to consider under purchasing do's and don'ts, but the -30 sticks out there purty good!

The PC pipe is closer to the -30 than it is to the -35."

When you say "closer to the -30 than it is to the -35", do you mean in physical size, or in performance gains? IE, is the PC pipe more of a "rev" pipe than an "torque" pipe? Thanks!

Brandon

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I've not ridden a KDX with the PC, but others have indicated it packs a real mid range punch. Sage has posted a comparison of the three before, just need to do a search.

A lot of really fast woods guys find the -35 pipe more than enough, but then I suppose instant wheelies are fun too.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
i agree with these guys ...i have the rev pipe on my 220 and i am going to get a tourqe pipe and carb bore after i get the suspension and stearing stabilizer. anyway on streight aways\open fields i smoke people but when it goes back to tight trails and hills i dont do as well. it depends on your skill if you can go real fast in the woods(im assuming woods) all the time get the rev it wil set you back on your seat in the top end otherwise for more technical\tight\slower riding get the torque pipe and possibly carb boring
just my $0.2 (look at the bright side both pipes only cost 180 bucks each so their easily replaced(kinda) if you choose wrong)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…