KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
I'm in knid of a bind here, I'm quite low on money, at 15, i dont have work. over the holidays i get about 200$ to 250$ worth of money to spend, and im aiming that money at the kdx. Now, i want both stiffer fork springs, because i weigh in a 210, and a pipe. I can get a used woods pipe on ****, for about 140$ including shipping, no dents. that would leave me enough money for the .40 kg fredette springs. I would actually like the rev pipe, so i could alternately throw 200 down on a new rev pipe, and wait around for a pair of xr4 springs for less than 50$. Any opinions?

mudronin

Sep 21, 2006
can you pick up some odd jobs for the extra cash to get both?

$5 here or $10 there can add up quickly if you are inclined to make the efffort. if not i think i would go for the springs first. you're suspension set correctly will allow you ride harder and chances are with an increase in handling you will find your bike is faster:)

if you choose the springs, be sure to factor in fork oil, seals and maybe bushings.

--mud--

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
If you weigh 210, then .40's aren't going to be stiff enough.

All the power in the world won't matter if you can't put it to the gorund. Unless, having something shiny is more important, then get the fork springs and a roll of aluminum foil.

steelpony16

Dec 1, 2006
Hey man, it's Christmas.
How bad you want them?

You and a few friends go Christmas caroling
for a few days and you can get all brand new.

Just do it!

I did when i was 15.
We sounded like crap, but they still enjoyed it.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Well if it ever snowed in New York anymore I'd say shovel driveways or use a snowblower and charge them triple :)
I'm 225 with gear and I love my 40's. Get the springs, you don't need the pipe. Russ

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Dirtbikes are high performance, highly tuned machines from the factory. Pipes and such do little except cost a lot of money. They move the power band around a bit, but you can usually learn to live with what you've got, especially if the factory setup has good low end.

foots

Aug 20, 2003
76GMC1500 said:
Dirtbikes are high performance, highly tuned machines from the factory. Pipes and such do little except cost a lot of money. They move the power band around a bit, but you can usually learn to live with what you've got, especially if the factory setup has good low end.

You've must not have ever rode a stock 220 compared to a piped and RB'd 220

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
I am getting the FMF Gnarly pipe for my son's 99 KDX 220 for Christmas, but what about the RB porting job, does this help a whole lot?
He has a powercore-II silencer, but stock pipe.
About how much does it cost to have the head done?
He's no expert rider, but he's pretty good and misses the high revving of his old YZ80, but loves the torque of his 220. He rides my KTM 250 EXC 2T, and loves the unlimited power of that thing, so I think the pipe will be a good step, but if the porting isn't too much, I may have that doe too.
Input is appreciated.

KdX_SkUiRrEl

Oct 28, 2006
match the cases and get the squish band modified. a good rule of thumb is: get the bike to manufacturers specs, THEN go after the shiny stuff. Im pretty sure the head job is around 40 bucks US.

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
OK, but why should the bike be out of spec?
I did forget to mention this bike has less than 500 miles on it. Probably closer to 300. It also has the original piston so I am getting a Wiseco replacement too.

KdX_SkUiRrEl

Oct 28, 2006
2 words. manufacturing tolerances(damn engineers). the poor machines come from the factory incredibly restricted (its awesome what you learn as a mechanic :) ). get the transfer ports matched where the cylinder mates to the cases, and that rb mod pretty much put the squish damn close or better to what the stock clearance is SUPPOSED to be (damn engineers again:P) it will give you a very noticeable gain in power because the transfer porting is smoothed out at the base of the cylinder. i hope that helps :)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
KdX_SkUiRrEl said:
2 words. manufacturing tolerances(damn engineers). the poor machines come from the factory incredibly restricted (its awesome what you learn as a mechanic :) ). get the transfer ports matched where the cylinder mates to the cases, and that rb mod pretty much put the squish damn close or better to what the stock clearance is SUPPOSED to be (damn engineers again:P) it will give you a very noticeable gain in power because the transfer porting is smoothed out at the base of the cylinder. i hope that helps :)

Not damn engineers, damn manufacturing line! If it were up to the engineers everything would come out dead-nuts on the nominal value for whatever spec you are measuring. Heck, it would be nice if we could get them to stay within the tolerances, half the time the claim our specs are impossible to adhere to, even though I could get it closer blindfolded with a hand drill. :yell:

Oh yea, original poster - springs first! A decent suspension and a slow motor will get you around a track or down a trail faster and easier than a crappy suspension and a mean engine. Fork springs should be mod #1 on a KDX!

KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
I went track riding today and I nosedived off a triple and that scared me quite a bit. Maybe a kx250 is in store...

KdX_SkUiRrEl

Oct 28, 2006
Yeah, im sorry i didnt meant to peave anyone off, i was just making a statement, its just dumb how they do that on production models, but whatev. And i agree with adam, i would start with springs, just get the thing so your are comfortable witht he setup. but im pretty sure we already knew that :P

Yamajeb

Feb 20, 2006
KDX607 said:
I went track riding today and I nosedived off a triple and that scared me quite a bit. Maybe a kx250 is in store...

Why would you do triples on a KDX? It's not at all surprising that it scared you . . .

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
adam728 said:
Not damn engineers, damn manufacturing line! If it were up to the engineers everything would come out dead-nuts on the nominal value for whatever spec you are measuring. Heck, it would be nice if we could get them to stay within the tolerances, half the time the claim our specs are impossible to adhere to, even though I could get it closer blindfolded with a hand drill. :yell:

Oh yea, original poster - springs first! A decent suspension and a slow motor will get you around a track or down a trail faster and easier than a crappy suspension and a mean engine. Fork springs should be mod #1 on a KDX!
No offense intended Adam but while the engineers may not be responsible for quality control, they are singlehandedly responsible for the out of balance suspension. I will say though that your advice on this forum has been thorough and spot on.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
ridejunky said:
No offense intended Adam but while the engineers may not be responsible for quality control, they are singlehandedly responsible for the out of balance suspension.

Very true, very true. :ride:

Top Bottom