Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well, my friend is coming over with his RM80 tomorrow and i want to get it up to par. He doesn't really take care of it, but he just replaced the spark plug and it is still having some problems in the snow.

He says when it goes it will bog down and then go. And my other friend says he hears a knocking, but he doesn't know what he is talking about. But he is coming over for 2 days i want it to run good so nothing happens while he is here, or while i'm riding it. So i'm trying to think of some things i can do to make it run a little better and not have problems with it here.

But i think the problem with the bogging down is it not being jetted right. But he WONT re-jet it because he is stubborn like that. But i was going to:

Clean the Air filter
Clean the Sparkplug (if or at all possible get a new one)

Yea see thats all i can really think of without taking something way apart or buying anything. Is there anything else I can do with it while he is over here so i don't have to worry about it breaking on me?

He is stubborn, and i tried to tell him he has to maintian(sp?) these things, but he says its fine, and its fine, and yadda. Its really annoying when i describe something to him and he just says ok, and then i ask him what i said, and he says "i know what you said" but doesn't listen anyways. (same thing happened when i tried to tell him to stay on the edge while snowboarding. But he would rather look like a tard than listen to me) I just want it to last here, i don't care if it blows up at his house. He has to learn the hard way. Because he doesn't listen to me.

So back to the point. What else can i do to make it run a little better, and clean up? I know there isnt really much i can do, but there has to be something!

Thanks if you can help!

~(V)opar

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
My friend was the same with his yz85, ran like crap, and the air filter was the problem.

My dad made me read the manual 3x before i rode my bike, but my manual is 80 pages.

And his is 300 detailed pages, now he has to read it, itll be good for him.

There not much else u can do to make it run better, with out making major changes, like a topend, new gaskets, and it looks like ur gonna be busy riding.

Repack the silencer, change the oil, lube the chain, and thats about all you can do, when you dont have any new parts on hand.

Make him buy a couple plugs because youll need them rejetting it, and he can use them after he fouls them out so he wont be losing anything.

Pacer

Jan 14, 2007
Not trying to spoil your fun, but your best bet is to stay off of it. If you have your own bike, ride it, let your friend break his. It never fails when you borrow something, its gonna break. Then who gets the blame? The person that got it to the breaking part, or the person that pushed it over the edge??

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
He repacked the silencer last time i was there so that SHOULD be fine (and i don't know how to do that, because my dirt bike is different) And he said he changed the oil, but ill check it to when he comes here.

and yea, ill try to get out to the store, but i doubt it, and ill end up paying for them. But it will be better than buying a new top end if i break it! :yikes: But i'm going to tell his mom i will pay for anything i break, unless the motor blows then it wasn't my fault. It would be his for not taking care of it, and i told him that to.

Thanks

_______________________________________________-

after reading the other two posts, Im not going to stay off of it, my bike is NO FUN compared to his. And i am willing to pay for anything except motor damages.

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
then get a compression tester, 20$ at walmart, i got mine there. It is hard to get to fit, you might have to put it around or above the radiator hose to get to to screw in right.

But its a nice compression tester.

Well about the topend, if the topend blows, and u crack a piston or a ring or something, it wasnt ur fault, it was his for neglecting it.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Well the packing is not going to make it run like that it's just going to make it quieter and the oil is for gears only on a 2 stroke. My 250 has no packing and runs great just louder.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well, IM not going to spend $20 for one. I could probebley barrow one off of my dads friend, but he is quite aways away.

ill just do what you guys said, and hope for the best. And i wont be riding it much because he can barley ride mine. And there is 3 inches of snow on the ground right now, i dont expect much from him. (street tire in snow. Im like the only one i know (besides my cousin) who can ride it in mud or snow.

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
Yeh i know about the packing, just trying to get his friend in the correct matenience sheadual. (this messaage board needs spell check, or i need to learn to spell) :)

but if he neglects his bike and something goes wrong when ur riding it, just dont make any promices to him or his mom, maybe stuff broke caused by a crash but thats it.

Good luck.

Nov 25, 2006
Honestly, I would check what jets he has in his carb, go to a local dealer, and buy 2-4 jets, this isn't costly, but it IS the problem, cold air leans the bike out, a fine running bike in july could be a bog fest in january. Re jet accordingly. In 2 days, this might not be possible, not all dealers have jets. but it is a simple process, if you have not jetted your own bike, you most definitely have power to gain.

Nov 25, 2006
nother thing moparguy - if you are a novice bike tuner, just simply turn the airscrew to different places and the bog will get worse or better.
Think of it this way: You are facing the carburetor, head on. Turing the airscrew goes like this:
Left turn = Leaner (<-)
Right turn = Richer (->)

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I would make a agreement that goes something like if anything goes wrong that would have because of poor matnience it is his fault but if you crash and break it you should fix it

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well, HE needs to replace the jets more than me. ill see if i can knock it onto his brain that it needs to be done. But i don't know about my bike. I am usually not allowed to ride it when there is snow on the ground, and i don't last long when its cold. So my bike sits most of the winter. But he rides his bike alot. and its $6 a jet for my bike, and $7 a jet for his bike. (thats what i gathered in about 2min of research)

Well see, if i can get to a dealer than ill think about it. And if he has money most definitely ill get him one. But i doubt it. And if i do go to the dealer now that i think about it. i should get mine re jetted because it did come from florida, and im in Pennsylvania so there is quite an elevation difference.

Ill just clean stuff off and TRY to get a new plug, but jets are kind of a maybe. But ill try. Thanks for the help, ill try my best not to hurt myself or anything.

(when i went riding last time, there was snow on the ground, it was cold, and i rode his bike better than he did, and i didn't wreck it, so well see what happens [knock on wood])

Thanks!

~(V)opar

Also... why did this get moved to pit bikes and mini's? neither of our bikes are either of those..

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
And isnt it the other way? right = lean, left = rich? because thats how it was on my nitro rc car.. because righty tighty lefty loosy. So if you tighten it it will let in less fuel lettign in less gas which is more air which equils rich. hmm maby its backwords. Are you sure?

Top Bottom