BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
As some of you may have read, I had a bad crash at Cooperland on the 426. The track had been freshly watered and was a bit slick. I was doing laps at half speed, not even trying to clear the tabletops. Here is the scenerio:
On the approach to the jump face of a 16 foot table top, I'm centered on the pegs, moderate throttle, squared up and intending to "pop up" onto the tabletop about half way across. On the jump face, however, the bike kicks sideways, approx. 25 degrees. I landed on the rear wheel with it kicked out, knowing the bike was going to react abruptly. I did not apply throttle on landing. The bike kicked to the opposite side, with the front end coming down hard and washing out. I went over the bars, trying to roll onto my back, dislocating my elbow in the process.
What should I have done differently?
1. Bail off?
2. Hand full of throttle? In the air or upon landing?
3. Brake checked in the air and tried to land front wheel first?
I was in second gear, approx. 20 mph, 65 degree jump face, 5 foot tall. (I've had plenty of wise cracks but could really use some good advice).

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Swift, that's usually a very hard situation to save once you leave the ground sideways like that. If you were not to far sideways in the are, sometimes the best thing to do is grab the clutch and lean back right before the rear wheel hits the ground. It's hard to know what would have been the best thing to do without seeing it first hand, but like I said, don't feal bad, getting sideways on a slippery jump face is not always savable.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Swift. Like Billy said, without seeing what happened it would be hard to say.

First of all, I'm not much of a jumper especially by Billys standards, but I have found that landing with the throttle full on will usually save you in situations like that. When you are that sideways, landing with the throttle off will most certainly cause you to high side.

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
65deg. jumpface? I'd bail before I reached that wall! 25deg maybe??

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
That's why I say it is too hard to tell, sometimes you need to pin it, other times having the clutch disengaged when the rear wheel hits doesn't cause that high side effect, like when you just land with the throttle off. Typically the 1st and 2nd gear stuff I'd do the clutch in on landing, I'll try and explain more later ..gotta run.

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
Maybe getting the frint wheel straight and giving it some gas is what I would do. I used to have a bad habit about the back kicking out becaue of stupid stuff. This usually saved my butt.

02CR

May 25, 2002
Just my .02
But generally its a good idea to let the track tack up a bit after it has been watered down. Also landing with the throtle off as others have said is never a good thing ( unless you've over shot the jump and there is a berm staring you in the face) This is what I would have done win or lose..... Don't look at the landing, look up the track and gas it on landing. Maybe try and pull the bike back with your leg, while in the air if you have time, Thats a tricky thing because if you over compensate and the rear goes to the other side your dead for sure. Also it may not look cool or be to popular but I have been wearing elbow guards along with my fox knee protector and chest protector.
As they say dress for the crash, Don't know if that would have saved your elbow but it has saved mine a few times. Good luck with your recovery hope your riding again soon.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Depending on the angle and amount the bike kicks sideways, many riders seem to "tense or stiffin up" when this occurs. Resulting in a pogo or high side type get off. I would say more times then not it is good to get on the throttle so the bike "straightens" itself out when landing. But if you are front end down then I have seen and many riders after doing a major whip land with the front end down, throttle off, the bike follows the front end.
One thing the damage is already done here and the thing that you did do in this situation didn't work..,....but that doesn't mean you could have saved it all. Jumping in slick conditions can be tricky, getting sideways in the air unless it's intentional makes it all the more difficult to correct. Main thing is to not go tense, it just amplifies the hit on landing.

wardy

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by wardy
Main thing is to not go tense, it just amplifies the hit on landing.

wardy
Good advice but It's a hard one to learn :eek: It's like when I coach hockey and you teach the kids that are about to get creamed to get right up against the boards and tell em to relax and the kid looks at you like "Relax? I'm about to get killed here!" The worst part of this whole scenario is the fact that you know your screwed but it seems to take an eternity for the end result that actually took a split second to happen!

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
BSwift i thought i did the same thing in the weekend and went and said to a mate ***K did u see that??!! he was like what, you whipped it, and then i was like yea?? ;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks guys. I guess I've over analyzed this crash because I got injured. I've had extra time on my hands. It sounds like I did what the majority would have done and the elite, top riders MIGHT have pulled off. I'm healing up reasonably fast for a old guy and will watch myself carefully the next few times on the track.

B

biglou

I was right behind Brian but missed the accident by a few seconds. I thnk Robert may have seen it, I will have to ask him. If I remember correctly, the Semics videos teach you to apply throttle upon touchdown, as it wil make the rear end squat and dig in. Of course, he wasn't sideways when he was demonstrating that!

I also have to vouch for how slick the track was. We were all just so happy to be at Cooperland riding, we couldn't wait for things to tack up! I had the front end wash out on me quite a few times from the watering. Also, Brian, a 426 is not the easiest bike in the world to make move sidways, one way or the other, in the air (so I'm told)!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Well, I got the shout part down pretty good! ;)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I guess the best way to find out for sure is to try it again after you heal up using all the above suggestions to see which works the best. :p I'm sorry Brian, I know you didn't want any wise cracks but I just couldn't help myself. :uh:

Heal up soon so you can help our brothers in arms MX547 & TX246

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
swift..hey bud, news flash for ya, i have whipped the rear end of that 426 alot,(good thing the illinois gophers only make 10" mounds or i'd be hurting) i know it's because of rear wheel drive/accel thingy or something, but i've tried going smooth and steady and the rear will still whip/wash. the first time i did it, jeeze, i thought "yeh baby, i just did a knack- " luckly i was on jumps and not step ups, as it gave me a chance to correct. i did do a couple on the stair stepped hill at the club, and would just continue to roll on the throttle, it's like lou says, the rear will squat.hitting rear first, and kinda push you forward and straighten the bike. that's kind'a cool feeling, like landind and having a rubberband start to pull taught then pull ya forward, it really seems to lessen the jump impact too. now everyone here that knows me and seen me ride knows i suck and am an accident ready to happen, but so far i seem to have this thing, on 10" gopher hills :confused: oh yeh, your question, what should i have done..hmmm, i'd recomend staying in the rythym section..doh! :p

Top Bottom