what the heck is an X-ring chain?

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I noticed in another post you guys talking about an X-ring chain. What the heck is that? I have never heard of it. Is it vacuum sealed like an o-ring chain? And does it really outlast an O-ring chain?????

Also, I heard someone mention that an O-ring chain reduces power; is that really true? if so, how much? can you even notice the difference? I'm talking on a KX 250 and KX 500.

What about an x-ring? will that reduce power? :(

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Its basically just like an o-ring chain, except the cross section of the o-ring looks like an X. That is, looking at one of the o-rings, it looks like it has little groves around the circumfrence. Cut it, look at the end and sure enough it looks sorta like an X.

Both O and X ring chains rob a little more power than a standard chain. Neither will be enough to notice on a KX250 and certainly not on a KX500. The X ring will rob modestly less power than an O-ring chain. On my street bike (which i commute on, so exact same route everyday year round) I consistently get 1-1.5mpg better fuel mileage with an X ring than an O ring chain. No noticeable power difference (but the bike has 120wrhp) but I assuem the lower drag of the x-ring chain is responsible for the increased mileage.

On an X-ring lasting longer, I haven't worn one out yet, but best I can tell it will last longer. I still have O-ring chains on my dirt bikes, but when they wear out I will replace with X ring chains. My street bike was getting about 20k out of an o-ring chain. I have a bit over 10k on my x ring now and I've adjusted it once.

Top Bottom