What to do about damaged cylinder lining

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
I am just going through my new (to me) 2000 KDX 220. It is becomimg more clear that the previous owner did not do any maintanance. The air filter was unoiled and the was dirt in the carb. The next step will be to take the head off and check on the condition of the cylinder.

How will I know if the incoming dirt has damaged the special Kawasaki Electrofusion coating?

If it is damaged, what are the possible solutions? I am used to being able to bore out a cylinder, so this is new territory for me.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
i concur - if there is any damage Eric would be the guy i would send it to for repair. He should be able to hone it slightly for you and if needed can bore it and have it sent to US Chrome for replating.

These cylinder walls (plated) are pretty tough. Good luck & let us know what you find in there.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The coating is pretty tuff so with any luck it will still be ok. If you find damage, normally its obvious and takes the form of either deep scratches or worn coating exposing the aluminum beneath describe it to us or to Eric and take it from there. Recoating the cylinder at some place like US Chrome via Eric Gorr is much cheaper than buying a stock cylinder and the finial product is better/ more durable that stock.

If you pull the cylinder looks ok be sure to have to cylinder measured at your dealer or by a mechanic friend to make sure its not out of round before reinstalling it. When you rebuild the top end use a Wiseco piston. Some factory 220 pistons are prone to failure in modified 220 engines. The factor piston is still an excellent choice in the 200, no problems there.

David

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by Canadian Dave

If you pull the cylinder looks ok be sure to have to cylinder measured at your dealer or by a mechanic friend to make sure its not out of round before reinstalling it.

David
If I buy used, first top end. cylinder alway's go'es to Eric! most shop's could'nt tell the difference between & Sh*^ & shineola ! Eric's the man, just be patient. :thumb:

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Some anecdotal (and therfore likely useless) information....

My 200 cylinder has some plating damage. The plate peeled off a couple of spots and you could see the corresponding shapes on the piston skirt.

They are low in the bore and not in a real bad place, so I used it as was. No, not on the 'way to do it' list..but it'll do.

A note on 'things to EG'. I think he does NOT bore and replate to std size. As long as it's being done, you might as well do some improvement to the cylinder at the same time. Cost isn't much different.

Mine will go there......someday.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
He seem's to like that 240cc bore for the 220's and 220 for the 200's. when I sent jr's jug in he had a 240 on the shelf for a good price. but he said mine was fine. and just did the power valve and got me a top end kit.

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Thanks for all you input guys! I at least now have some idea what my options are in a variety scenerios. Dave, I was comforted to hear you say the lining is relatively tough. It's a small world Dave,I noticed you are from Ablerta and the KDX in question is from Alberta. I am from BC and was visiting Edmonton 2 weeks ago when I saw this bike for sale in Calgary and drove down to have a look and ultimately buy it. The bike was originally purchased at Bow Cycle in Calgary. Anyhow, thanks for the help all and I will let you know how it looks when I get it apart, probably after Labour Day now. Cheers

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Dave, one further question for you. Is it expensive (shipping, broker fees etc) or problematic (Canada Customs) shipping cylinders to and from the states? is there anyone in western Canada you trust with replating and the like? Thanks again.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
xrforever ,there is a shop in Port Coquitlam -Mongoose Machine phone # 604 464 3460 they are set up to do re-plating,they are also a Wiseco dealer.I have dealt with them ,real nice work and fast turnaround. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom