What to get....Newbee Bike Help!!

stevie93

Aug 20, 2007
I am 13 years old (14 in October), 5'7" tall and weigh @130 lbs.
I am moderately physical. I skateboard, race bmx and have been playing drum set since age 3.
I plan to mainly race mx (after learning to handle bike good enough) and riding trails around house with friends.
I had an 03 Yamaha TTR 90 until about 1 1/2 years ago my dad sold it when I out grew it. Haven't ridden one since.
My dad is mechanically inclined. But I feel that it will be half us and half certified mechanic doing repairs and maintenance.
I have no preference as to brand or 2 or 4 stroke, but my dad says that a 4 stroke is less maintenance than 2 stroke, at least in his riding days.
I have all brands of bikes within 1/2 hour drive of my home.
My dad says that I can get something in the $2500-3500 price range.
I live in Tennessee near Memphis.
My dad's main concern is that I haven't had any experience with a manual clutch. He says he doesn't want me to kill myself or tear up a clutch trying to learn.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Jan 3, 2007
stevie93, welcome. All i have to say about the whole clutch thing is a clutch is cheap. The fiber plates are like $60 at the most. Just when you start to learn try to drag the clutch a bit instead of dropping it because you are more likely to break a clutch basket tooth when dropping aggressivly.

Now, for a bike. I think that any newer or new 2 stroke 85 would be good for you. Buy the bike when the new 2008s come out that way the 2007s will be clearence models. With a 85 2 stroke i would recomend a flywheel weight because it will help in smoothing out the power and also make the bike less prone to slow speed stalling.

stevie93

Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the info 2 strokes. I have been looking hard at the kx100. Do you know anything about that, good , bad, etc? My dad said if I got the kx100 I could race it until I turned 17. I may go that route. If anyone has any more advice please let me know. My dad said I would probably be able to get something this weekend.
Thanks

Jan 3, 2007
stevie93, a KX100 would be great but, i dont think you would race it untill you are 17. I think you will be on a 125 by the time your 15 or so.

stevie93

Aug 20, 2007
Thanks 2 stroke.
That's been brought up and really something to think about.
I was wondering if I'd outgrow an 85 by the time I'm 16. A friend told me I might not have this bike very long since I am still growing. My dad's 6'2" tall so I know I have some growing to do in the next year or so. He also suggested that I should just buy a used 85 and then buy a new bike in a couple years when I have more experience and am ready to move up to something bigger. I can get a new '07 yz85 for $2394 & an '07 kx85 or cr85 for $2650. The more I think about it I think I am just going with the yz85. The dealer is only 6 miles from my home. I haven't had any luck finding much of anything as far as used dirt bikes in my area. Nothing in the newspaper or cycle trader. My dad has told me that whatever I get I will have to ride it for at least 2, maybe 3 years before even thinking of buying another bike. yz85? Any thoughts on that choice?
I'm tired of doing research and trying to decide.

Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…