gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Ok, I know this is a little early for this, but I wanted to know of anything I needed to pick up that I don't already have.-----> insert laughter here---->
I have NEVER rode in the desert or the mountains, so i just want to be somewhat prepared... :eek:
I know the weather can flip fast, I figure it will be mostly cold? I know I gotta rejet for elevation change. but what else? help me out here guys..............

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Kokanee
Bring rum and other supplies for the blender

I would think you would also want a glove for your hand, so it doesn't get cold while holding a glass.

galant2nr

Dec 27, 2002
Yeah, A beer Coozie works great for cold beers not making your hands cold.

I went for a ride at Moonrocks today and it was cold and snowy... I would look for winter MX gloves and maybe a facemask so your lips don't turn blue like mine did. The snow was about 6 inches deep up on the hills today, so it made for wet feet. Hopefully it will be damp but no snow come February, but I wouldn't count on it...

B

biglou

Last year (well, earlier this year) it was pretty nice. Sunny and mid 50's (?) during the day. I wore regular moto gear-jersey and a t-shirt underneath-and was nice and warm all day. Had a sweatshirt handy for chillin' by the fire, though. We probably got lucky last year, I'm hoping for a carbon copy of the weather this year, too... To be safe, I'd bring some long underwear bottoms (cycling tights, etc.) and an enduro jacket or sweatshirt. And lots of dry socks just in case. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around, for sure!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Lou has you dialed. BTW - liquor prices in Nevada are among the lowest in the U.S. Buy your liquor here and save!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Rick, I've been to this ride every year since it's inception and I don't recall the weather ever being very bad, and you know what a wuss I am! :confused: I only remember some snow the first year but I haven't ridden some of the places that the crazy riders like Strick and Kiwi go to.

Things I would recommend for cold weather desert riding:

Enduro Jacket
Wind Breaker
Thermal Underwear
Balaclava
Thicker riding gloves or rubber gloves under riding gloves help keep hands warm
Hand/foot/pocket warmers
Warm Hat or beenie
Thick riding socks
Long sleeve shirts and sweatshirts
Rum, Rum, Rum and Rum :)

If you have any walkie talkies and/or some sort of GPS I would bring those too. The desert is MASSIVE and if you get seperated a way to communicate with others could be save your butt from aimlessly wandering the desert.

I love desert newbies!! :)

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer
The desert is MASSIVE and if you get seperated a way to communicate with others could be save your butt from aimlessly wandering the desert.

I love desert newbies!! :)

Well now I'm not nervous about my first ride in the desert at all! :eek:

galant2nr

Dec 27, 2002
Ahh, I wouldn't worry about getting lost out there. I explore new areas almost every time I go out. The beauty of Moonrocks is you can go pretty far out and always find your way back somehow if you go due East, you'll hit the main road eventually...

Strick, do you agree?

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Strick says the same thing but........I don't know if it's just my extreeeemely poor sense of direction or what but I can see getting lost out there really easily. Probably because I couldn't find "due East" in the middle of the desert if my life depended on it! ;)

It's so easy to explore out there. I find myself wanting to keep on going over this rise and that rise and to the top of that hill but there is always that little fear in the back of my head that I won't be able to find my way back. I've been out there before and been seperated from the group and didn't have a clue how to get back to camp. I've had to ride to the highest hill I could find to scout around for a road or a glimps of the staging area.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's probably not a good idea to follow me around in the desert. :confused:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I didn't even think of venturing out on my own! the list of things to get keeps getting bigger and bigger! Let's see what santa brings first, before I go shopping!

EyesWideShut

Dec 20, 2003
Is this some kind of new communication device that I don't have yet? Last time I heard a rattler I got bit. As I scan the latest for gear to bring, I can see that newbies don't have a chance. I guess my first clue was who invited me along....E-ticket. Sometimes baby brother doesn't learn to quick, and I keep coming back for more, oh well at least I'm consistent! I have a 97 Suzuki RMX, should I be concerned about the jetting? I live in Boise, which is higher or lower than Reno.... I don't know. It's just comforting to know that if anything happens Randy will at least provide me with a shallow grave... I hope. Any input on jetting or prep for Reno, bike wise would be appreciated. I feel pretty good about the gear part, and am looking forward to meeting everyone. Still waiting in Boise.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
How's everyone's packing coming along?

Anyone have updated packing lists and/or a few special items that are must haves? We're MX'ers and desert virgins so please take it easy on us. :)

I'm trying to put together a list so I can pack early next week, but afraid I'm gonna pack the whole damn house and forget some important things in the process...

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
We will take it easy Nikki. You will RAIL certain sections of the desert though, and REALLY enjoy it. On the large drop off or G-outs, I will make sure lead riders are told to signal or stop, so the followers don't wad-up.

Oh, and if you head Due north (from the riding aresas) you will hit the road in to Moonrocks, Winnemucca Ranch Road.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Chapstik! or lip balm. maybe something to eat around lunch time? Eddie, you know what I'm bringin! My gear bag is done, and my other bag is just laying there, half packed! Camera charged, MP3 player, charged, but need to download. Investment book packed,(for the plane) and waiting on a new battery for the laptop...........

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Don't forget chairs for when we're sittin around the blender.

I use these silvery-lookin glove liners, and they usually work great.

Bring a handful of tools and necessities in your tool pack, camelbak or the pockets of your jacket--spare masterlink, spare lever, safety wire, zip ties, tape, spare plug, multi tool, etc.--whatever you have.

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
You can't get lost out there, if you ride east 20mi then just ride west 20mi.
PS just look out for your truck.
That's GPS...Going to Previous Spot
Warm weather gloves, thermals, warm socks & sometimes a neoprene face mask will help keep you comfortable. These will make the difference between a fun ride and a cold one! An enduro or waterproof ski jacket is a must!
Hope this helps!
dj

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
nikki said:
Anyone have updated packing lists and/or a few special items that are must haves? We're MX'ers and desert virgins so please take it easy on us. :)
Nik, the one thing I can think of that I know you and Red don't have (I know since I was shocked when he told me) is camel backs. Eddie said he would bring his spare for one of you but the desert isn't like the MX track where you are always 2 minutes from your truck. You guys really should look into getting yourselves some kind of hydration system.

galant2nr

Dec 27, 2002
Try WalMart for the Camel Back systems. They are way cheaper there than the MX or Bike shop. They make some pretty nice ones that can double as a toolpack if you want too.
I also second the Neoprene mask thing. I have been wearing one for the last 3 months, it really makes riding more comfortable when you can feel your face. Even a bandana will help keep the chill off. My Moose Monarch Pass gloves are a life saver too.
Of course I am hoping for 65 degrees and sunny for next weekend, because right now it is 22 degrees at 9:00am, but at least it is sunny. :yeehaw:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Damn.... Camelback? I already caved in and bought a riding jacket... now I need a Camelback. I think over my 6 years of riding, I have spent 98-99% of it on MX tracks, lol. I'll be tool-less as well (unless you wanna call Red a tool) so hopefully I'll survive the desert :ohmy: Okay - I'll check out Walmart for the hydration deal - Aimee knows I LOVE Walmart :)

Where to get the neoprene masks? I have a fleece thingie for around my mouth/neck I figured that would be fine. But 50 degrees will feel like damn near summer to me after the past few weeks of sub zero Chicago weather.

Top Bottom