gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
i think i am going to use klotz r-50 for my premix oil but i am wondering what transmision oil to use? i want to stick with a synthetic. also what weight are you guys using?

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I use the Bel Ray Gear Saver tranny oil, 75W (not the hypoid gear oil). It looks just like ATF.
Synthetic? Not sure. Works great though. As long as you keep it changed regularly, you could use just about anything. Lotsa folks use regular motor oil...

KI4CPE

Mar 14, 2005
I like Amsoil 10-40 SYN. Spectro 85W 2-cycle Trans oil works good also, but it is petroleum based. Amsoil makes some awsome products specific for motorcycles. Just make sure whatever you use, that it doesn't have friction modifiers and is safe for a wet clutch system. The Amsoil is safe for wet clutches. Friction modifiers can cause clutch slippage. Good luck!!!! R. Shane

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
Pwgsx said:
he sounds a little grumpy to me :moon:

yeah, i will agree. i am new to the site and responses like that make me not want to post anything. it took him more time to write that than just giving me an oil suggestion. i can't believe how many responses like that i have seen in the last month. maybe his mom forgot to teach him that if he can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. thanks to everyone else so far for for the suggestions! also, most have been saying to use around 80 weight but the manual calls for
10-40W what is the bennefit of using the heavier weight.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
make sure u use motorcycle specific gtransmission oil. for premix, Use Maxima Super M. The mechanic when I work said he did testing with premix's in jet skis, and the crank lasted the longest with Super M. This is what I am using in my 2005 YZ250. he also said for gea roil, use anything designed fo rthe gear box, and just change it often.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
This is the easiest going i have ever seen on a lubrication thread. where are the true beleivers in what they use? I have been using silkoleen but had some issues shifting on my last ride (almost like it was stuck in gear) so I am now going to give the gear saver a try. good luck!

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
I only use Redline Synthetic 75w... It never did me wrong in my cars and so when I got a bike I decided to carry on the tradition... I still change the oil after every other ride, sometimes after every ride. My friends think I'm nuts because the red stuff is one of the more expensive choices, but someone has yet to explain to me how it hurts the bike :) and when they say it doesn't help either I say why? and they reply "ummm" LoL!

But in all honesty, if you change your oil at a reasonable interval, I'm certain even the cheapest, crappiest stuff would be fine...

Have a good one!

Feanor

Porter

Jan 2, 2001
Try using 600cc of Mobil 1 syn 20-50wt mixed with 250cc of any F type ATF.Works very well.Changing it after every long ride is a good thing.A magnetic drain plug is a must :nod:

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
Ruff Rider said:
Theres already tons of posts on what tranny oil, ATF or like a 80w gear oil.
It took me 20 seconds to find this one.

Transmission Oil

Search around the KDX forums for your question before you post

Pointing new people to the search feature is being helpful. I really don't see anything in the post that sounded rude. The post showing a smiley face morphing into a butt is rude, though. Pretty ironic how someone can correct someone's rudeness with a demonstration of their own. If your search doesn't reveal the information you want, then posting a question is appropriate. Good luck with your search for transmission oil information.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I think for the tranny just use the cheapest Full Synthetic you can find. I don't even think the weight matters much. I like 15w50 cuz it seems to run quieter. From what I read from an oil expert, all synthetics are basically the same. Some just have slightly different additives that don't make much difference anyway. The cheapest Full Synthetic is still far superior to the most expensive conventional oil.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
honda make Synthetic gear lube made just for 2 strokes (cr's anyway but there all the same) i have used it for years with great results.....no problems EVER

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I just ran across some straight 40w conventional oil (Shell, I believe) on closeout at a local auto parts store. 50 cents a quart. I bought 10 quarts for 5 bucks. :)

I'm going to run the stuff all summer, changing it a couple times a month.

I'll let everybody know if my tranny explodes.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
I use this gear oil from Maxima. Then again I use Maxima products almost exclusivley for everything on my bikes.
http://www.maximausa.com/products/gearlubes/mtl.asp

Is it any better or worse than anything else on the market? I can't answer that but I can say that I have never had any problems associated with lubricant. There are a host of oil suppliers out there that all make really good stuff. A lot of them have been mentioned here already. I doubt that any one of those is better or worse than any other. I know those who use ATF and 30wt motor oil and to my knowledge have had no problems. I believe the secret to long life is to change it often. I change mine every two play days or each race. Maybe this is too often and maybe not. Again, so far I have had no problems. Were I you I think that I would let availability and my wallet determine what I use. Which oil is readily available and can be found when you need it. I can afford the bike specific oils at the intervals I want to change it so that is what I do. Were I on a budget I think I would first look for a less expensive bike oil and my next choice would be a synthetic motor oil.

Dan

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
Woodsquest said:
Pointing new people to the search feature is being helpful. I really don't see anything in the post that sounded rude. The post showing a smiley face morphing into a butt is rude, though.

You think by being nice, that will correct all problems??? This one is for YOU :moon: ..........Hope I didn't make you cry !!

Now if your still willing to listen, The whole point on a post is to get information from people that know the answers and want to help. I think anyone knows how a search function works and Im sure everyone knows how many times you type in a search and you have to read and read and get nothing you are looking for. So for everyone that helps out one another are the people that I would ask a question too. They helped me out many times and have saved me $$ when I was a newbie. Having someone reply with "check the search before you post" doesn't need to be replying at all. For all that reply with useful Information .... :cool: .....Thats for yall

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
any search on "transmission oil" or "atf" or "what oil" will give you plenty! its lazyness not a lack of information!

its like someone writing to an author a question that the author addresses in a book because they were too lazy to read all 100 pages of the book

i wasnt trying to be rude, just trying to direct his efforts, it might take a few days to get enough responds to your thread for you to make a well informed decision. it would take a half an hour to know exactly what you should get by searching.

BTW i use ATF type F

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
Has anyone had any problems with any type of oil??? From the sounds of it, you can run just about anything in the tranny if you keep it clean. I'll bet wd40 would even work! A little too thin for me though. I think the thicker the oil, the less the wear. As long as the clutch doesn't slip. And full synthetics are more slippier and hold up longer. Therefore, if you agree with that logic, full synthetic Castrol Syntek 5w50 would be a great choice! I've tried it and it seems to work well. No clutch slippage. And it keeps the tranny nice and quiet! I also saw full synthetic 75w90 gear lube at the auto parts store. I haven't tried it yet though. Anyone try auto gear lube? It should be great for the gears, but would the clutch slip???

CTurbo

Oct 30, 2001
Your primary concern should be the clutch. I use 10w-30 petroleum motor oil as recomended in the manual on a 1992 KDX. Changed oil every 6-8 month, ridden 90-120 miles every week. No brakedowns yet! I have it since new and other trans oils make the kick start slip.

Last edited:

xxrrider

Aug 16, 2004
OK - I have to weigh in on this. Motor oil has detergents and additives made to trap carbon (something like how soap traps dirt), they also have other addtives to cope with sliding friction (pistons and journal bearings) and combustion that can be harmful when exposed to the higher point/line contact seen in roller/ball/needle bearing or gear involute contact seen in a transmission. SO while they may produce a better (or worse) shift feel, they won't provide the best protection for your trans. For example, gear oils have sulfur (as well as many other additives) which is a standard additive to prevent gear wear, this is missing in motor oils.

I use the "crappy" stock kaw. trans oil. I know the right synth. (GEAR!!) oil will last longer and provide better protection under extreme conditions. But if changed regularly, I'm sure the oil that kaw. ran all of their durability testing with will be just fine. It also will prevent any mix ups with additives and clutch or seal material. It honestly takes 5 minutes to change the lube and is about $5.

Sorry for the nerdy lubrication post, but I've worked in the bearing/ transmissions/oil industries for the last 10 years and I just don't want people putting something harmful into the transmissions of such GREAT bikes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom