What type of Dremel bits for Port work

Dogz

Aug 30, 2003
What type of bit eg. tungsten etc. Would be best to clean up a port? In the corner of one of my transfer ports there is a bit of casting flash about 3/16" square, I don't like it there it must be gone, I was fine when I didn't know it was there, but now every time I ride I'll have visions of it breaking off if I don't fix it!
I did my own port work on my RD350 but that was an iron liner, I've never worked on an electroplated cylinder before.Any tips on chamfering I don't want to cause the plating to flake off or anything!
That old RD lc screams with the ex. raised 1.5mm, head lapped to cylinder-no head gasket. transfer ports cleaned up and a bit O' gasket matching on the base!
I wish all bikes could be two stroke. In the short haul and in the twistys that flat black rat RD eats 600 supersports for a pre breakfast snack! Cosmeticly it looks like it fell out the back of the pickup goin down a highway, but I refuse to fix it up, mechanically its top notch thats what makes it all the more fun!!!

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
I'm hoping you will get a response to your query. I've wondered about the same questions, as I have a back up cylinder that sure looks like it's in need of some serious touching up of casting flaws. I can't imagine metal chunks, flaps, ridges, etc...could do anything good to port flow. my $.02 :thumb:

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Although I'm sure you could do it, it will be FAR, FAR, cheaper to have it professionally done...Gorr will do it for $140 (includes $10 discount for being a member here). Unless your just planning on knocking down some casting flaws, you'll more than likely FUBAR your cylinder...it's actually pretty amazing all that goes into porting one of these guys (and there is no substitute for a skilled mind and set of hands). If you want some practice, try picking up some cylinders that are already ruined at your local shop and practicing first.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Carbide and/or diamond stones and a right angle porting tool are most often used to work transfers on plated barrels. Be EXTREMELY careful if you decide to take a tool to the ports on a Kawasaki cylinder. The OEM plating flakes really easily if you chatter a tool in the ports.

Dogz

Aug 30, 2003
Thanks Rich just what I was looking for, I'm not planning to actually change the porting on this, just one piece of casting flash. The RD mods are a time tested formula. So I felt safe doing that I wasn't experimenting.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom