what year KX rear guard goes on a KDX250 93 model

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
Well, if it's a fender you're talking about, most any fender from a like-year KX will fit. I put a '91 KX fender on mine. No matter what fender you get, you will have to make some modifications.

1. You will need to remove the fender braces.
2. You will have to re-drill the mounting holes on the side of the fender. The two small holes on the front of the fender will be fine.
3. There is a groove cut into each side of the fender to allow for the frame. You will need to make that groove bigger to allow for the KDX frame to clear.
4. The rear number plates can be trimmed ever so slightly to allow a better fit on the side.

I made a metal bracke to attach to the rear part of the silencer since it used to bolt to the metal support brackets.

Here are some photos:

sideplate.JPG

I've circled the part you trim.

rear.JPG

Circled in RED are the grooves (or notches) you will need to make bigger.
Circled in blue are the bolt holes that will match up to begin with.
Circled in pink is the bracket I made. You can also see where I made the new side holes. The sides are easy, just get the fender trimmed and in place, make a mark and drill the holes.

Remember, when doing any cutting / drilling on your new fender, check your placement / measurements 2 or three times and cut only once!

When done:
kdx_10-10-05.JPG

Good luck. If you have any questoins, e-mail me cburns@whatburns.com

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Nice job, duc.

If you remove the (heavy) stock fender supports like duc did, I would also recommend doing away with the tool bag, just like he did. The weight of the tools will stress crack the new fender pretty quickly - it happened to my stock fender when I removed just one of the braces.

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
dirt bike dave said:
Nice job, duc.

If you remove the (heavy) stock fender supports like duc did, I would also recommend doing away with the tool bag, just like he did. The weight of the tools will stress crack the new fender pretty quickly - it happened to my stock fender when I removed just one of the braces.

Yep, tool bag has to go. I got a nice fanny pack that I carry most of my tools in now, plus any extra goodies I might need. The tools I carry vary based on who I'm riding with and where.

I will say that I do miss the fender supports as an optional place to pick the bike up when I dump it. Not that I dump it that often.... okay, I do. ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
duc & others - there is a great place to get a hand hold on the KDX 250, but you will have to cut your irreplaceable side panels. Basically, cut about a 1.25" x 4.5" section from the top of the side panel, in the middle of the numberplate and right underneath the seat (a few inches behind the fox sticker on Duc's bike). With the big notch out of the number plate (don't make it any bigger than you have to to fit your gloved hand), you can get an excellent hold on the frame rail under the seat, and you will still have enough area on the plate for numbers.

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
Thanks Dave. I may do that. I have a spare set of side panels that I wouldn't mind cutting. Next time I'm motivated to work in the garage I'll look into that. I've been on vacation for the last week and a half - the wife had a "to do" list so long that I've been a freakin' handy-man everyday since I've been off. I'm burnt out for the time being! All these days off and no riding.... :(

Top Bottom