What year to aim for when buying?

Tyler3386

Jul 25, 2005
I was wondering if there was a certain year (model specific) to target when looking for a bike in the 1500-2500 price range. Im possibly switching over, been riding quads for a good 5 years in trails and whatever I can find in podunk iowa. My cousin got a dirtbike and something about the feel of it makes me want to get rid of my quad thats worth probably alot more than what ill be getting in a bike. I was thinking 250 because i ride trails and the 125 left a little to be desired in the low to mid range.

The thing is you can find anything from a nice mid 90s to an early 2000s for the price and I want to know if things were really improved over any certain year in that range. Would it be better to take, for example, a near mint 95 yz 250 or pay a couple more hundred for a 98 kx 250 that may have been ridden harder. These are just examples but id like to know if condition or age is better to go by. Also, you can get into the 2000s with a 125, would it be better than a mid 90s 250? Any model specific or general information would be great, thanks.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
My recommendation would be to find the newest bike in the best condition you can find.

Steve

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
Definately get a 250 and look at alot of bikes, whoever has the cleanest and least amount of hours for the price range your looking for. With your price range, you should be able to find a nice late 90's maybe 2000

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
splatt said:
My recommendation would be to find the newest bike in the best condition you can find.

Steve

I agree with Steve, but would say that condition is more important than year. I would also look at the aftermarket stuff, like plastic and other replacement parts. Some bikes are easier to find stuff for, regardless of year.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
I would reccommend a 93 and up. A few of my friends have 91's and they don't really start making aftermarket stuff for the bikes until around 93. Id stick with a late 90's if you could find one.

Tyler3386

Jul 25, 2005
Ok thanks guys, is it pretty important to get a 250 or can a 125 be made into an ok trail bike? I'm thinking I need the power of a 250, but in case I find a good deal on a 125 I want to know if they can gain some respectable low to mid range without spending lots of money.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Unless your an agressive rider I think you would be better off on a 250. On a 250 you can use it's bottom end to get out of trouble where as a 125 you already have to be on the gas.

Steve

Top Bottom