What's a better venting helmet: Fox Pilot or Troy Lee SE

cq

Feb 6, 2002
I have about one years riding experience under my belt. I moved from a KTM 200 exe to the KXF250. I am a second and third gear rider and my head overheats all the time. I live in Northern California. I narrowed my choices to the Fox Pilot and the Troy Lee SE.

Is there anybody out there with experience with both?

$400 dollars is a lot for me if I am not fast enough to feel the venting.

CQ

cq

Feb 6, 2002
Thank you for your reply. Some riders told me that unless you are an aggressive rider you won't feel the venting in helmets.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Venting isn't like air conditioning in any helmet. It does however let some of the heat out and is better than a (good) non-vented helmet.

No experience with the TLD, but the Fox Pro Pilot and the Arai VX-Pro both vent really well.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Speaking of the new Troy Lee SE helmet, can anyone comment on it's weight? I have an HJC CLX helmet, and at 3.4lbs, it's fine, but I'm looking for a lighter helmet for those 6 hour rides. The Troy Lee web site doesn't list the weight.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Have you seen the TLD Helmet - the most vented helmet I've seen!! I would opt for the TLD - actually I am going to buy one specifically because of venting. Big bucks, but like you I need a way to cool off better.

Last edited:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Okiewan said:
I'm not sure how you can tell how well venting works by looking at it? A lot of holes doesn't necessarily mean it will vent well.

Agreed - but after you see it close up you would agree. The helmet is truly incredible for a dirt bike.

Have you seen a F1 helmet? This is what alot of companies are now copying. After seeing both, the TLD is incredible - if not only from a venting perpective but the overall design. Who's to say if it actually performs in crash tests similiar to the ARAI though. I'll have to test it against one of OKIE's famous black jacks! :ohmy:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I'm no human weight scale. But by holding my Fly Lite II in one hand and the TLD in the other, I honestly thought the Fly was ever so slightly lighter. I was thinking about buying one of the TLD helmets until I tried one on. And for $400, they have a long way to come in interior comfort for me to buy one. They are way to skimpy on padding in the helmet. Almost felt like a pizza box wrapped around my head. But that's just my opinion. Try one on yourself, but I think most of you will agree. I was really disappointed, but really glad the shop had one so I could try it on. But they said that the guy left his 20% deposit when it got in, and he tried it on. He told them to keep it.

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I just switched from a KBC to the new FOX Pro Pilot. After riding about 8 times now I can say I love the quality and fit of the helmet :thumb: . I live in Houston where it's hot as hell most of the time and I honestly can't say I feel the ventilation. I'm sure that the ventilation system works better than my KBC did but when it's hot or I am riding all day It's still very sweaty :flame: .

Steven

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Best bet is to get a light weight helmet. Fox Pilot is ridiculoulsy heavy compared to the Aria and Fly Lite 2 helmet. My neck got tired just trying the Fox on. Never had much luck with venting with any helmet but weight seems to help alot.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
The TLD SE helmet is VERY light and VERY well ventilated. I'd wager it beats the Arai in both categories by a decent margin. It made my Shoei feel like an anchor while the Arai didn't feel all that much lighter than my Shoei.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
The new troy lee helmet weighs in at 2 pounds 14 ounces. I tried on a troy lee and it didnt feel like a expensive helmet. not very cushy inside. I have never seen a helmet with as much venting though. I ended up buying a fly lite II. $99 bucks and weighs in at 2pounds 12 ounces.Love the light feeling.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Is the subject the Troy Lee SE that is a Shoei VFX-R Air, or is it a different/new model that also bears the "SE" designation?

(I'm a NorCal hot-head, too.)

crmx91

Dec 4, 2002
The TLD SE helmet is a unique helmet. It is not a Shoei with TLD paint. The front of it, around the forehead area looks like a "ram air" thing with lot's of ports in the back for getting the hot air out. The reason they cut on the padding inside is probably because more padding equals more heat. The less "cushy" the interior the cooler your head will be. I too live around Houston, Texas and would take the TLD ventilation over padding anyday.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I tend to crash quite a bit. So I'll take more coverage over luxury needs any day. In my book, it is no where near being worth the price tag. But, that's just me. But I really suggest to anyone that is thinking about buying one, to try one on before you buy it. I sure am glad I did.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom