Whats a good trail 2-stroke for my daughter?

stan921

Dec 7, 2001
My 11 year old daughter trail rides an XR80 and does pretty well on it. It is just about the perfect size for her. I was wondering if there is a 2-stroke out there that was suited to the trails that was about the same size but with maybe a little more power. The KX65 seems too pipey and has such a hard hit. I haven't looked at the 85's yet. She doesn't seem to be interested in riding motocross, just trails. Thanks

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
My 11 year old son rides an xr80r (2002) in hare scrambles here in nevada...lots of challenging trails, obstacles, hills, varying soils, etc. Instead of buying a completely new bike, might I suggest some simple, bolt on mods for the xr that will transform it into a fast, fun little bike? All the while still maintaining its tractability. My sons bike has been equipped with a Twin-Air filter, a BBR rev box, and an FMF powercore 4 exhuast. EVERYTHING took less than an hour to install, and completely transformed the bike. I would also suggest removing the snorkel from the top of the air box..it severely restricts air flow. You may need to up jet..although I didnt (but, i do live at 7000 feet). Dont be afraid of changing a jet..its remarkably simple. Gearing on the honda is also a place to experiment..i have the stock 14, plus 15 and 16 tooth front sprockets for my sons bike...beware..the 16 tooth gear lets it max out at over 55 mph!I think the modified xr is the best compromise. And you should see the pride on my sons face when he details the mods on his bike to his friends. Good luck.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Jen will be able to give you all the details on a KX100 - with flywheel weight.

Top Bottom