RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
OK, I’m gonna get a GPS and I want to make sure I get the functions that I need…and can actually use. I’ve been doing some research and the Garmin 76CSx looks like the top of the line and best applicable for dirt bike use. It comes with a compass and altimeter which is cool but I’m not sure if I need it (the 76Cx comes with out it). Here’s a couple of links with info on it http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CSQRYS/ruggedelegance14439-20/ref=nosim
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-G...-P880C0.aspx?gclid=CIrJ2o6K9pECFQEfFQodRxEevw

So here are some questions that I hope some of you can help me with. I searched and found some stuff but it was a old and may not be the latest.

- Is the Garmin 76SCx the best for mapping trails in heavily wooded areas? It claims it can but does it? I want to be able to overlay my track onto a map for reference.

- What maps and extra software do I need? Topo?? MapSource Trip (what ever that is)? Waypoint Manager (what ever that is)? City Navigator? It comes loaded with Americas AutoRoute basemap that can give turn by turn directions. Is it detailed enough to navigate on back roads and/or small town streets? I plan on using it for road trips in the car…and of course getting to prime riding spots!

- What style bar mount works best? I ride a lot of tight tree and brush infested trails and don’t want the thing getting snagged off the bike. I was going to build my own but it sure is easier to just buy one. This one looks nice http://www.thegpsstore.com/Shrimp-MC-ATV-Base-with-Universal-Cradle-P785C0.aspx

- Who has the best deals? Amazon sells it for $313.95 with free shipping.

- What am I not asking that should be asked?

Thanks!!

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I dont have experience with different brands but I do have a Garmin Rino 120. I have been eyeing the 76CXs as a replacement.

The base map that came with my unit was decent but the extra money spent for the Mapsource software was worth it. At some point I would like to try some topo's.

I run mine on a ram mount. It's an ok mount if you run a zip tie around it. On the Rino you have to mount a larger pin on the back to allow it to click into the mount. I overtightened mine and cracked the case on my GPS. A little 5 minute epoxy and its held for over 3 years. If you want to spend some money look at the touratech mounts. http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/tt76c.html

You also mentioned not being sure if you need the electronic compass. My Rino doesnt have one and I hate it. Its the main reason I want to replace it.

Not sure if this is your first or not but you can also overlay your tracks on google earth. I think its $20 for the google earth subscription but its a cool toy.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
rm_guy- There are a couple of interesting discussions on this in the archives- although it sounds like you already have most of the info that comes up in them.(You have to search under GPS UNIT to sift and find the better discussions.) There are also some threads in the legal section that talk about mapping trails for the govt...Several state agencies have links and down loads that might interest you. Look under the Texas forum or legal... or maybe here:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=153455&highlight=gps+unit

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=156514&highlight=gps+units
Summarizing from there: Garmin good, ...e-trex summit show relative elevation changes.

Topo for trails seems mandatory to me, I guess. I like maps and gadgets though. Or I did until I went blind in old age and can no longer read electronics in the wild. grrrrrrrr.

Here's the link to mounts:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=149058&highlight=gps+units

Sounds like two things to be concerned with are bike vibration and not mounting it so it gets destroyed in your first crash.

The other discussions were related to radio and gps, but before you spend the money you might want to consider all the options and how you'll be using it most.

I realize this isn't greatly helpful, but the threads I cited weren't all that old (late 2007), so thought I'd pass it along just in case. I thought we have a member whose job it is to ride the rockies and map these things. (??) While 2TrakR's thread is 2005, I think the information in it is still pertinent to things to consider. I'd recommend if he/she does not jump in here, you PM or email before you buy. Tony Eeds is also quite helpful. Good luck.

Let us know what you settle on.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hey, Dave!
I'm not one to get very concerned with the GPS thing. But I do have one of the E-trax models. Very inexpensive, or at least from what I've seen of these rascals, and very convenient. There are a couple of good mounts for them, but I find it mo bettah to simply carry it in a fanny pack/tool kit or similar. It can be fun to just punch in waypoints and just use that data later. I don't have any of the software or anything, I simply use the Google Earth thing I downloaded (freeware, 3-d, complete control, amazing really), and there is another site by the Gov that gives nice topos as well.
I find that is all the GPS enjoyment I need.

I suppose if a man is going to use them to actually navigate their way with it, then mounts, gadgets et al would be the way to go.
If I use it, it's just to see where I've been.

Actually, if you want I would be glad to let you try mine first, before you make a sizable investment. (shrug)

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
the Garmin 60CSX is the unit to get as far as hand held mapping units go. I have the 76cs and it is great but the garmin 60 has a new receiver that puts the 76 to shame. I have a friend that has the 60 and he never drops lock on sats. The 60 series is more expensive. I bought mine refurbished for $180 and he paid 340. You also have to buy the software that matches what you are riding. The Topo Software gives details about the terrain including roads but lots of the roads are not labled ie Hill St. The Topo Software uses older data too but it is great out in the sticks. City Nav is used by lots of dualsporters that are looking for open out of the way public roads.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Thanks for all the comments! I have read all of the previous posts and did gather a lot of info from them but was interested if there were any new developments. It's doesn't look like there has been too much.

tx246, I was wondering about the reception between the 60 and 76. From the specs it looks like they both use the new chip that is suppose to be the best. I'm not sure what the "x" on the end of the model name means. But if you are comparing the 60CSx to the 76CS (without the "x") I don't really know if it's apple to apples. I may just call Garmin to ask. and yeah, looks like the topo is the way to go in the woods. We haven't had an glaciers go through in a while to change the lay of the land! :)

Jay, I have the free Google Earth and will take a look ate using it. I plan on using this to go exploring but have a way to get back without getting lost. Plus, there is a lot of private land around me and I want to overlay the town and county property maps to see who I have to ask permission from...and who to avoid!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I fianlly got a hold of Garmin customer service. I only had to wait 15 minutes!

The only difference between the 60 CSx and 76CSx is that the 76CSx floats and comes with a bigger micoSD card (128Mb vs 64 Mb). I'm getting a 2 Gig card anyway (the biggest it can handle) and I don't need it to float so I'm buying the 60CSx.

BTW, the "x" means it has the high gain receiver.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I have the electronic compass on my GPS and I find it fairly worthless. The GPS has to be held level in order for it to work at all, which means it won't work if you have the GPS mounted to the handlebars at an angle where you can see it. If you have a GPS fix all you have to do is move a few feet and you can establish what direction you are facing and where north is.

Ditto on the electronic altimeter. If you have a GPS fix, you have that information anyway.

The feature that mine doesn't have that I wish it did was the ability to transfer a route track to my computer. I would love to be able to capture the track of an enduro and then overlay it onto Google Earth to see where I just rode. It would also be cool to be able to transfer it back to the GPS so I could go find that neat hill again.

Battery life is an important consideration. Rechargable batteries are nice as well. My GPS only has about 14 hours of operation on a pair of AA batteries. That is long enoughj IF you put a new set in every time you use it. It is such a waste, however, to put in new batteries if the old ones are only half used.

Rod

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I have the electronic compass on my GPS and I find it fairly worthless. The GPS has to be held level in order for it to work at all,

I didnt know that....thanks for the heads up.

What model do you have?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
;) Dave ... good choice of a unit.

I will be replacing my 76CS with a 76CSx, or whatever else they come up with, when my 76CS finally dies.

It is 4 years old and it continues to chug along.

My only complaint is the fact that I broke the battery tab on it changing a battery one time. A little piece of foil solved the problem though.

The batteries are prone to shake a bit and the unit will shut down if they loose contact with the tabs. For some reason on my 76CS only one batter has a spring on one end. The other has two tabs and that is the battery with the broken tab. As I said, the foil took up the slack. The broken piece of tab is still there protecting the foil. I have to hold the unit just so to change the batteries now.

Get some tracks made and we can start a whole new thread about how to convert them to show on Google Earth with DNR Garmin.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I got an automated call from UPS today and it's coming tomorrow. I got the flu over the weekend and am home sick so at least I'll probably be home to sign for it :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hope you get to feelin better, Dave. I had the nasty a couple weeks ago and was on the couch for a whole week. Don't think I have been that sick since I was a kid.

Top Bottom