Whats the best way to make fork spring preload spacers?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I need to make a 3/8 of an inch preload spacer. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a lathe. What would you guys suggest I use. I did a search and found some disscussion about using PVC pipe. Will this work?

Thanks, Steve.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Sure, it's a popular alternative. Use the thickest walled stuff you can find(schedule 80?). I used a plastic pipe double female union and cut out of it what I needed(Two 3/4" pieces). Wall thickness on it was better and it's durability seemed like it would be better than regular PVC pipe.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
A month ago, I had my suspension rebuilt. Heavier springs front and rear. Plus new bushings and seals up front. After the rebuild, I noticed a "pogo-stick" sound whenever I took the bike off the stand. When I removed the forks from the clamps if you shook them,you could hear the springs rattling inside the tubes.

I had a problem with bottoming on some medium jumps, even though the compression adjusters were screwed all the way in (hard). I knew this shouldn't be happening with the heavier springs. So I decided to take the caps off and found the oil was 1 inch below factory specs. I also found out why the springs were making noise. On full extension of the forks, like when on the stand, the springs had about 1/8 of an inch of freeplay (up and down movement) inside the tubes.

I replaced the fork oil and brought it up to the correct level. I went to Home Depot, Lowes, and even a hitch shop. I was looking for a washer with a 7/8 inch inner diameter and 1 3/8 inch outer diameter. I was hoping a hitch ball washer would work. No luck. I found the correct sized washers at our local True Value Hardware store. They were thick, so three washers gave me the 3/8 inch I needed.

Now the springs don't make any noise in the tubes. It was a simple fix that cost me $1.20 in parts and about 2 hours labor. It was my first time taking off the caps, so I was slow. I don't think I added enough of a spacer to effect spring rates, just enough to take up the slack in the tubes.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can test out the mods.

Steve.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I'm not sure, mine are "upside down"forks. I put the spacers (3 washers) in the fork cap. Here's an image of my forks.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic.asp?dept_id=124540

I removed the caps from the forks and unscrewed them from the damper rods. Off came the circlip (28). I removed the spring seat (26) and the thrust washer. Together they make up about a 1/16 of an inch spacer. I installed the washers on the cap, reinstalled the circlip (28) and had my 3/8 - 1/2 spacers. On these particular fork caps, you can't have the spacer taller than 3/4 of an inch and still have the circlip (28) hold the washers onto the cap. You could make a taller spacer out of one piece of material, it's just that the circlip (28) won't be ablt to secure it to the fork caps.

Hope this helps, Steve.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Also you could go to ypur local Cycle shop and check out the White Brothers catalog. They sell spacer in the suspension section, they have different sizes,and are cheap.

Top Bottom