What's the Future for the KDX?

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
If you're not too big, and you want the most value for your money, then there isn't a better woods/trail bike than the KDX. But how long will it last? The trend with every company seems to be toward 4-strokes, and those are either too big and heavy, like the DRZs and XRs, or too tall and explosive like the MX four-strokes. When I find out what the last model year of the KDX is, I'm going to make sure I buy one. Anybody see any better options coming along?

rrpaulsen

Jun 22, 2003
No, I don't. The writing is on the wall for two-strokes.

I tried to like four-strokes for years, owned several, but was never satisfied with any of them. A few years ago, I decided that I wanted to go back to a two-stroke and that I'd better do it quickly before it was too late. So two years ago I bought a KDX220, figuring that at my advanced age it would likely be the last dirt bike I would ever need.

Enjoy it while you can!

-Ron

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
As far as I know, only North America has this 4-stroke at all costs buzz - as long as Kawasaki can sell a ton of these bikes, they will keep making them - they may just not ship to the US in the future :ugg:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Well we can't do much about it ,thats why I bought an 03 KDX, so I could ride a 2-stroke for a few more years. But if they take the new 250 4 stroke and hang some lights on it and widen the grear ratios, it may not be so bad.... well I'm trying to sike myself up but it just won't happen. :ugg:

Kevin

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
Get over it boys - 4 strokes aren't so bad - you can choose to have fewer parts that may fail (2 strokes) or more part working for you (4 strokes); either way, it's still a lot of fun. In comparasion, our 220 has more pep and a better suspension that our XR250, but then again, the XR is way better in the first and second gear stuff. What I like is that both are hard to break.

Jenx’d

Jun 24, 2003
I’ve been riding most of this year with a friend who has a new CRF450 and if you haven’t had the pleasure, you’re missing out. Although the gearing is a little tall for woods riding it’s really not much of a problem and with all the torque it has, gear selection does not really an issue. It’ll take turns through deep sand that would normally would be a first or second gear turn on my KDX200 (’84) in first, second or third gear. It has power at any RPM in any gear. I love my KDX (’84) and I’ll never get rid of it (in fact I’m thinking seriously about getting another newer model KDX to have another 2-stroker) but I am checking out those new big-bore “thumpers” so I can have the best of both worlds.
Later,
Jenx’d

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
:| :laugh:

Kevin

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
It will be sad when it happens but I can't deny that the KDX's may be much harder to obtain sometime in the near future - I hope I'm wrong. What I will miss the most is the indestructible nature and affordability of the KDX, the ease of maintenance, and the incredible technical support available at sites like this, JustKDX, a site dedicated to and influenced by a huge number of KDX owners who would not be around in these numbers if the KDX was not the most popular of all trail bikes. I have owned several dirt bikes of different makes (2-stroke and 4-stroke) but when it comes down to reliability (reliability = fun), my favorite by far is the KDX.

Jenx’d

Jun 24, 2003
JasonWho. I ride with a buddy who has an ’86 XR200 on which I have taken many laps around the farm and it isn’t half the bike my KDX. Sure, it’s fun to ride but it’s not going to open your eyes and whiten your knuckles like the KDX. If I sounded like I was dissing my bike then you got the wrong impression. I would like to ride a new KDX and see how it compared to the CRF. My dealer here in Montgomery told me Kawasaki is introducing it’s answer to the CRF450 later this year. I’d like to try one one those out! By the way, where in Alabama are you?

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
Ive had 20 year old cars before so now Ill have a 20 year old 2001 kdx as long as I can get parts.If I want A 4 stroke toy Ill get a vette :aj:

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by XRDadKDXBeni
Get over it boys - 4 strokes aren't so bad - you can choose to have fewer parts that may fail (2 strokes) or more part working for you (4 strokes); either way, it's still a lot of fun. In comparasion, our 220 has more pep and a better suspension that our XR250, but then again, the XR is way better in the first and second gear stuff. What I like is that both are hard to break.

If you want the best of both worlds, try the KTM 300 EXC. I've owned all three now, an XR250, a KDX220, and now a KTM 300 EXC 2-smoker. Unbelievable, until you ride one, that is. Four stroke like torque on the bottom, and they flat rip in the mid and top end. And MUCH quiter than a MX 2-smoker. Don't try one, though, unless you think you might be ready for a new bike, 'cuz you'll probably have to have it!

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Oh, I forgot to mention the suspension.....works at high speeds in the desert, and also makes an astonishing woods bike. In the KTM world, they are called the "do it all" bike. I've ridden several of the CRF450's, also, and I gotta say that on a long ride, they can really wear a guy out. They also have maintenance issues, mainly in regards to the titanium valves. But back to the KDX, dollar for dollar, it really can't be beat in the woods.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom