jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Just wondering about the riding. It sounds like mostly motocross. How much woods, trail, riding as far as acreage or mileage, is there and can you ride them at anytime? How about some numbers
50-50, or 20 track 80 woods, 80 track 20 woods?

A couple of us are thinking of going, but we hardly ever ride motocross, if it is geared toward motocross it might change some of our minds about going.

Any help would be appreciated> Thanks Jeff

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There will be a woods loop up to 12 miles or so, laid-out by Guy Cooper this year, on several hundred acres. DW is NOT mostly motocross. The Team Harescramble, harescramble and poker runs are in the woods and do not involve the MX tracks.

We can do the math based on entry forms, but I can safely say that there are more woods riders at DirtWeek than MX'ers.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It's all good!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
FYI - there is another 500 acres of woods riding just down the road if you feel the need. Several bunches of folks went over there for a few hours last year. There will be more woods available at Cooperland than last year too.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Its not about the riding it's about hanging out with 2 or 300 of the nicest people you would ever care to meet. The riding part is the exuse you use to get out of the house ;)

You will NOT be disappointed. I've been to them all and they just keep getting better.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I'm a woods guy and this will be my fourth DW.  You will not be disappointed!  It will blow every expectation you have out of the water!  Fun trails, Awesome grass track, GREAT people, and MX if ya wanna.  You will ride more in that week than you do in 2 months of normal riding!  I was so tired last year, I didn't even put my gear on Saturday!  Can't wait till October! :yeehaw:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I prefer mx for some reason, guess it's cause I almost always know what's around the next corner. I can tell you that I had as much fun experiencing the other type of riding I got to do at DW that wasn't mx.

I think the best part, about the riding at DW, is that if you normaly don't ride mx or woods, etc. you get the chance to do it with others that are in the same boat. I had a blast doing the hare scramble & poker runs at DW. I didn't feel out of place doing it and not being ab;e to "keep up" was nothing to be concerned about. Even in the mx class, I rode the "B" class, which was for mxers that are experienced. I got a really good start and was running in a good position before I bobbled half way through the 1st lap. I got up and started making ground and felt like I was doing well. The next thing I knew I was passing a lot of riders, I knew I was riding well. As I made my way around the next corner I passed a guy and thought "he looked familiar." As I made my way around the track I noticed he was in front of me again, I once again passed him. Half a lap later he's in front of me again, "how could that be?" It was then I realized that this race wasn't one that was about "winning," it was about having a good time, which I did!

If you have any doubts about doing a dirtweek, you need to come check it out for yourself. I remember reading about the other dirtweeks I didn't attend, 02 was my 1st. I couldn't help but think after reading all the reports that DRN spodefests / dirtweek was about the same a getting caught up in an Amway marketing scheme. They talk a lot of hype to get you there but once you show up it aint all that. I can tell you it aint that way. These are good people out for good clean fun, kind of an oxymoron for dirtbiking isn't it?

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
You will have fun no matter what you like to ride. If you don't want to ride, you will still have a good time. The people are that nice. I know. I was at Dirtweek 02. I was signed up for all the motocross races when I first arrived and thought the woods guys were crazy. Then I rode the woods loop. (First time in the woods.) Decided to cancel the motocross racing and ride more woods. I am still slow in the trees, but I sure had fun. This year may be a little different with the new bike (CRF 450R) I still don't think I will be very fast though, in the woods or on the track! :yeehaw: :aj:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Its ALL good. That was one fun week. I wouldn't worry too much about the woods/mx ratio, you'll find enough dirt there either way. Plus there is that extra 500 acres mentioned earlier.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What type of riding? How about a 2000 Montesa 315R trials bike on the kids MX track for a strange combination? The riding is what you make it. Woods guys can ride anywhere they want be it track or trees. Sometimes the track guys get lost and end up wandering around in the trees hoping the milky moon doesn't shine ;) If you brought a RC51 and wanted to ride it on the track it would all still be good :)

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Thanks to all the replies. I have done some motocross and look forward to a real good national style track. The one close to me is an "Stadium MX Track" and it is brutal. I have a 400 EXC and am trying to sell the 01 CR250, I just didnt really want to take the KTM on the track. Maybe I should take the sale sign off the CR!!! That way I am ready for both. Anyway sounds like we would be crazy not to try it at least once.

I guess you guys talked me in to it.

Anyone close to Kankakee Il that might need to hook up to make it give me a call (815) 935-9859. So far there are 2 maybe 3 of us going and we will probably camp there.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The bikes with lights moto is always a crowd pleaser! I remember the '01 DW Bike w/Lights and Jeff Fredette. Good times.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
The bikes with lights moto is always a crowd pleaser! I remember the '01 DW Bike w/Lights and Jeff Fredette. Good times.

No kidding - he's worried about the 400EXC on the track, he should have seen the KDX's, TTR's or the CZ out on the track having a totally embarrasing good time :yeehaw:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I cant wait to try some real woods riding. Bikes with lights should be fun too.

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Don't worry, plenty of trees around the mx tack as well. The whole place is full of woods and grass tracks and wood piles, you'll be fine, trust me.;) Oh, and lots of weird animals and bugs too.:scream:

Top Bottom