dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
While Motorex certainly seems to be the flavour of the month i've used Maxima for years with great results.
The Maxima racing fork fluid has a VI index of 150 while the shock fluid is 375. As long as you bleed it well and aren't doing 40min motos at pro speed :eek: the fork fluid will be fine in your shock.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Bruce, before buying a 5 gallon pail of the stuff I would try to know what is the base stock of the fluid. In order of quality in synthetics: there is Polyolester-Best, Polyalphaolephin, second best, and last Hydrocracked mineral third. It is confusing because they can now legally call hydrocracked oil "100% sythetic" even if in fact it is not (like castrol syntec). It is a process making the finest mineral close, in performance, to a polyalphaolephin base. I know Motul advertises having oils that are esther based. This means it is likely to be good stuff. There are some others too but I'm not 100% sure yet. I suspect Silcolene and Motorex to be also esther based. If you find some more on Maxima, let me know.
:eek: :thumb: :yeehaw:

Last edited:

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Maxima, on their website, it says they use petroleum base stock. Clearly not the best there is. Usually not clean either. I'm surprised because they use esther for their K2 synthetic premix. I can't figure why they can't afford to use the esther base stock for their suspension fluids too. :whiner:

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
BC,
No hand has provided some very intresting information.. To add, I'd never use a fork fluid in a shock.. And I would not use the Motorex in the shock either FYI, regardless of what they say on the package..

I'd suggest that shock fluids are not a place to skimp. I've tried a lot of diferent fluids, and brands, along with custom stuff, and I've never regreated using top-qulaity, when you compare the small diference in price with performance and longevity.

BR,
Jer

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thanks guys, i looked at their shock oil also and its a petro base.

i actually dont need 5 gals, but i just need a decent supply of something i can use all around for consistancy purposes- i have found that i seem to run out of fluid always at the worst time- usually when i find a fork seal leaking when preping the bike on friday night before race day.

Jer: can you suggest such a fluid- i am not trying to skimp, or spend mucho $$$$, something middle of the road.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
There was a post from Deansfastway about using Silkolene shock fluid (RSF 2.5w) in the inner chamber of showa forks. I found it very inrterresting and am planning to try it too, but why I'm bringing that up is: perhaps, if someone is planning to use only one fluid for the whole suspension, there are more chance that a shock fluid will do a good job at being used in both Forks and shock, than a fork oil has. I'm wondering :think:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
NO HAND I was referring to using the 2.5 wt in the T/Cs to tune for lighter feel on like an enduro setup you dont want to use some shock oils as some of them have a reaction to other oils and or atmosphere or oxygen Bel Ray shock oil gets real sticky when it hits the air . Sticky enough to cause big big drag and chunk and burn up seals.Bel Ray is a really good brand and Ive been using for a long time but if you used the shock oil in forks itwould cause you some problems with the larger seal swept area as its just so large there would be so much drag. I think the guy that tried it was thinking the same thing as you when he put the BelRay in the T/Cs and burned up like ??? sets of seals and increased his comeback ratio quite extensively that summer.I think the Silkylene stuff is dual purpose suspension fluid. Ill take a peek. If youre seeking to cost less alot of people use cheaper ATF in the outer chambres of T/Cs but I just like to use quality stuff and not mix and match too much Some other thread was referring to Mobil 0w30 in the outer chamber. Theres also a wide array of really good and costly Hydraulic oils that are available for Bulldozers and loaders that are available . I knew this guy that was a CAT loader mechanic that had some real trick hyd oils that were full synth. It was good stuff and that stuff is meant for severe duty and no foaming all different weights and uses.I used to work on Renault Cars at a dealer years ago and the small auto trans that these cars had would really cook the trans oil They had a real problem with foaming also . The trans only held about 3 qts oil. When foamed up the trans would whine and shudder and bang on drive or reverse and Renault came out with this 1 0z bottle of pure silicone that we added to the trans oil and the problem ceased . It also worked well in the power steering racks . Im no oil expert by any means Id really like to find out more myself about this stuff . Wilkey is right, he knows alot about oils, he knows the people at Mobil research plant in Illinois and has tested alot of their products of which alot more are available than what you can buy at the Auto Zone. I think Maxima a good brand weve used their 927 alot with gas and with Alky fuels. Ronnie Lechein was really a smooth rider I remembered he came to E town alond time ago and was sleeping before his moto and they woke him up and rushed to the gate and he walked everybody.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Well guys the most intelligent oil guy on the forum that I know personally is Jeff Howe. He's helped me quite a bit.

I think that what you guys are saying is correct..

IF you had to go or the other.. I'd always go shock fluid in a fork, but that's stupid... A shock does not need much antifoam, its pressurized.. But if you don't have anti foam in a fork your hosed.. A shock is more concerned with VI and anticipation, in a fork friction properties are more important... Its generally speaking a mutually exclusive deal..

I'm more partial to shock oils because they are more durable, and I hate being around "rotten suspension fluid" And I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.. Whether it ruins your fork or not, a shock oil in won't stink the shop up when you open it up..

I'm just swaging here, but I suspect that the reason the BR/spectro/etc gets sticky is not so much contact with air, but the contents of the fluid boiling off into the atmosphere as they have low vapor pressures to keep the fluid light.. Put a cap on it and you won't have a problem with the sticky sludge..

Question?.. What the hell is the particle formation on the bottom of spectro oil containers??? I've always been doing to know..

BR,
Jer

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I know it might not be of interest to alot of people but just in case; I found a hint at the base stock composition of Motorex "racing fork oil". They say it is a "synergistic blend of pure synthetics". That means it is probably a mix of PAO (polyalphaolephin) and POE (polyolester), which is quite good. So, the base stock would not be entirely esther but would contain some.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Jeremy Wilkey said:
Question?.. What the hell is the particle formation on the bottom of spectro oil containers??? I've always been doing to know..

ive noticed that also, and the specrtro stuff goes well sticky too.

Top Bottom