What's up with Watts

Does anyone know any more about Watts just giving up? I don't buy the excuse that "I just didn't feel like riding today" especially when you are winning the race. There are a lot of people that look up to this guy and just giving up is the worst thing any athlete in any sport can ever do. I guarantee he will be loosing some fans over this one.

Later

------------------

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
I saw the reports that he just 'quit'. There has to be more to the story.

Perhaps he aggravated one of his previous injuries (knee?), and wants to keep it from the competition. Just guessing.

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

I don't know if he was winning the race... from what I saw (on TV) he got a horrible start, got tangled in the ribbon/posts... and then took off about 30 seconds behind everyone. I don't if this is right, but from what I have heard/read, it's really hard to make up that much time, even if you've got 3 hours. Like Dave said... most likely aggravated an injury. I do remember a race either this year or last year where Watts got a bad start at a really muddy race, then cut a huge section of the course (knowing he would be DQ'd) just to ride with the lead pack... He's got the mind set that either you win, or you don't race.

------------------
If you don't crash at least twice a lap, your not going fast enough!!

No, watts DID catch up, he was in 2nd place when he quit. Thats the amazing thing, after coming from last to second in...(i forgot how many laps), he just up and quits.....really strange

XRstroker

------------------
Honda 1995 XR200R

I can't read Shane Watts's mind or think like him, all I know is what I herd and saw at Loretta Lynn's GNCC and that was that he did get a realy bad start and that he had passes every other Pro on the corse on his 200exc by the end of the 2nd lap and that he pulled off on his 3rd lap. When John the GNCC anouncer was talking to him over the loud speaker system he said "I just didn't feel like riding today" and he also said that he might not even go to the next GNCC in Sparta KY. Like I said I don't know what he is thinking but it sounds like he might just be getting burnt out on racing or he might be trying to hide somthing, why would anybody just pull off after acomplishing such a feet? who knows. I would like to see him keep racing.

Kevin

------------------

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Here's a quote from him out of Australasian Dirt Bike (which he writes a column for as well), February issue interview: "Pretty much at the third race last year, I was abot to quit racing forever," Watts explained. "I'd put all this pressure on myself and that's when I stood back and took a good look at everything and realised that I don't need to do that. I went to the next GNCC race with a lot more of a cruisy attitude; just to try my best, have a good and see what happens. And I won there."

Further down the same article: "I'll stop racing when I stop having fun. That may be next year or in 10 years time. When it happens, I'll know! I want to set myself up so that I don't ever have to work again if I do stop racing and that's going to take probably another year or two. Then I'll be set and take it from there. I want to be in a position to do nothing if I want to do nothing."

Maybe the end is nigh? Time will tell.
Michelle

This is the first I've heard about this possible catastrophy. Please tell me it isn't so!! I don't wish injury on anyone, but I would rather find out he was injured than a quitter. If he is quitting I hope it is for the right reasons. I can't fault him for quitting if he is burned out, but in the middle of a race??!!! There has to be more too it.

Quick, wake me up!!! I'm having a terrible nightmare.

------------------
2000 KTM 200exc
2001 TTR 125L
1971 125SL
1973 175 Harley On-Off

I dont know about Watts. I dont think hes to good of a guy though. Hes fast but, not to friendly. When he raced the Steel Creek GNCC, here they all came down the the local shop. They were all outside talking to one another. They all seemed to be so confident on there riding, it really wasnt cool. People were trying to ask him questions but whenever one of the guys he was around said something, his attention would go straight to him, just forgetting about the person. I just dont know about that guy.I heard some storys about what happened the night before the race with him, seems alittle brew was involved and a rumble in the basement :p. But it may have just been a rumor, who knows.

Chris
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
00'KDX 200
I may ROCK, but im not made of STONE.

------------------

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
My only experience with Shane Watts was good. He actually initiated a conversation with me at the Hollister National this year. About 5 minutes before the start of the race no less. He posed for a picture with his bike and I didn't even ask him to. I've never met any off road racer who wasn't really cool to fans in general. I usually judge peoples character by how they treat people that they don't know. It's easy to be cool to your friends, but not as easy with someone you just met. I met Patrick Garrahan last year, and within 30 minutes he let try his brand new motorcycle. Very cool! I hope Shane is just temporarily burned out.

------------------

I was there, that blond was hot!! If he quit to go on a "ride" with her....right on

------------------
Y2K KTM 520 EXC
69 HD FLH
46 HD WL

TexKDX

Subscriber
In his Speedvision interview after the Loretta Lynn's GNCC he said something to the effect of he had some things he needed to get sorted out in his head...

When they interviewed the 1st and 2nd place finishers right after they took their helmets off, MAN I have never seen such dirty faces! The amount of mud under the goggles from dust and sweat was unbelievable. No way it could have been fun in all that heat and dust.

------------------
TexKDX

GWO

What do you think? Maybe he wore himself out charging from last to first. I understand it was hot and other riders (including Lafferty) needed an IV treatment. He said he wasn't having fun. I don't guess it is fun to ride dehydrated, about ready to puke your guts out. They say he rode in and went and sat down, leaned against his van - sounds like he was beat to me.

------------------
GWO - y2k 300exc, 01 400exc

My friends and I were waiting around after the race, waiting for all the results to be posted and all the pro's had packed up and left. This was about 1 and half hours after the race and Watts was still there sitting in the back of his van (bike still under his tent not loaded) and we were talking about Watts and his finish. One of our friends that came to the race to take pictures said he was going to go ask Shane if he could take his picture, we bet him he would'nt so he went over. To my suprise Watts hoped out of his van, stood by his bike and let him take a couple pics. My friend came back and he said that when he asked Shane about getting a pic, Shane said " I feel dejected today, why not". We tried to figure out what that ment but had no clue? Maybe Shane felt dejected because of the way his fans and or fellow racers had reacted to him not finishing the race.

------------------
2001 WR250F

He is different then most of the other top off road guys out there. He is way more layed back and just wants to have fun. no pressure, etc. Why do you think his bikes are mostly stock and he rides with used tires? I dont think it takes is too seriously. He has all the natural talent in the world, but he is just not overly gung ho. I remember reading that he would rather go to the beach with his mechanic then have his mechanic prep his bike.

He is probably bored winning all the time :-) Maybe he did it on purpose to make the series close again.

enduro8

------------------

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
I for one feel that Shane has earned his keeps and when he says he doesn't feel like riding today, so be it. I've been there, I'm sure you have to. Maybe not in the middle of the race,but never-the-less. But we don't earn a living doing this. Ever feel like not working this day, or the other? Maybe it's the same for them. Riding all the time, in all sorts of enviroments, constantly on the road, bunking up at someones house or ranch (Hawkins). Though who would turn do a nights stay at the Hawkins'? And as far as rumors go, let's just keep them that way. No need to add to them or migrate them. I've always heard of great meetings with Shane. Whether it's an injury or a mental/emotional problem, I can see it and respect it either way.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

[This message has been edited by yarbonwick (edited 04-26-2001).]