Wheel lacing and truing, should I do it?

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Hey guys, I've got all the parts to build my new wheels in my bedroom at this very moment, and I was going to take it in to the shop on friday, I have the whole day off on friday and was wondering if I should attempt to lace and true the wheels myself, how hard is it? thanks for any insight,
Jeff

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
If you have all the new and correct parts, you should be able to do it. I say correct because the wheels may be dished. Bicycle rear wheels are dished. This simply means that the spokes on one side are a little shorter than the other in order to offset the hub. I'm not sure if MX rear wheels are the same but even if they are, no big deal. I have laced up many bicycle wheels and MX wheels are the same concept. You might also want to examine the rim and make sure the spoke holes in it are or are not angled in the direction of the spoke. If they are, just make sure you align the first spoke correctly. After the wheel is all laced up, turn all the spoke nipples in the same amount of turns, say three turns and only three even if they are still loose. This is simply to create a starting point. Now starting at a marked spot (mark a spot with paper tape) turn each spoke in an additional turn. Repeat the process until the spokes start getting tight. When they are relatively tight, then you look for trueness. Spin the wheel on the axle and true it up. When you first ride it, check the spokes frequently and after every ride until they keep their tightness.

ZEKEDAWG

Oct 14, 2002
I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago and got some good answers. I tried to do a search to find it for you but for some reason I 'm not allowed to search. Anyway from what I was told it is not too hard. I was going to switch out the rim only so to do that, make sure to tie up the spokes where they cross, undo all of the nipples take the spokes off the rim, put on the new rim reattach the spokes etc. What I was going to do was tighten the spokes so they weren't loose and then take it to the shop and spend the money tpo have them trued, but you can do it at home, get the rim round first by tightening spokes where the rim is high and lossening where it is low, once it is round the you can work on the side to side.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I did my front rim not to long ago. The spokes were the same on length on both sides, but the holes were angled as mentioned. I use the same method as Zekedawg. Also, make sure you put dab of waterprof grease or anti-sieze on the end of the spokes. It will keep the nipples from seizing up later down the road (especialy if they are made of different kinds of metal). Take you time and don't start on the side to side run out until you have it round. You can also loosen things up and start over if you need to. Patience is the key. I built a true stand from 2x4s and it worked realy well.

Good luck and take your time. And check for tightness as the spokes seat.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Good advice Danman. Patience.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Not hard to lace a wheel, but truing is another story. Hope you've got PLENTY of patience! :-) Certainly worth trying to do it yourself first.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Don't scare him. Truing a wheel isn't that bad. You just need to mark it and take your time.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
thanks for the input guys, It's very helpful, I'm just not sure if I want to risk screwing up something that I have put almost 400.00 into already, I'll let you know what I do and how it comes out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom