Toothmech

Oct 21, 2004
Hey guys, been fighting with the rear wheel on my CR250 now for some time. Finally got all the nipples unseized (they move, but not all move smoothly. I straightened the flat spots or "flares" in the rim from a big get-off I had a while back with a wrench, and commenced to try to true the wheel on the bike in the swingarm. My question is how close do things need to be to not notice while riding the bike? I think I have it down to less than 1/8" runout laterally and maybe a little more than that in circumferential runout. The rim is pretty wavy from what I can tell, so I don't know if I am just crappy at wheel truing (most likely), or if that's just as close as I am going to get it (also likely). Also, anyone out there who has tried truing a wheel, did you worry about resetting the offset to factory specs? What happens if you don't. I know I should just buy a new hoop and spokes and then do it right, but money is tight, and I am only gonna have this bike for another year or two, so I am trying to keep the amount of money I throw at it to a minimum. Any help's appreciated. Thanx

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Toothmech said:
My question is how close do things need to be to not notice while riding the bike? I think I have it down to less than 1/8" runout laterally and maybe a little more than that in circumferential runout. The rim is pretty wavy from what I can tell, Also, anyone out there who has tried truing a wheel, did you worry about resetting the offset to factory specs? What happens if you don't.

Toothmech.

How flat and smooth is the ground that you ride on? IMO, you're not going to notice that much of a runout on a dirtbike. Now, if it were a roadracer that ran on smooth pavement at 180mph, you would notice that much runout, but a dirtbike on bumpy uneven ground is a different story.

As long as your tire clears the chain and it is centered in the swingarm, the offset should be ok.

It is much easier to lace and true a wheel when the spokes and nipples are new. I would not worry about it until you can afford a new rim and spoke set. When you are ready, do a search on wheel truing. Lots of good info.

Just my $ .02

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I concure. It doesn't have to be all that true for dirt riding. I've riden with mine more than an 1/8" out and didn't notice at all. I wouldn't want to go high speed on the street like that though.

Top Bottom