DrVal

Oct 10, 2002
I have a 2001 KDX200 and find it difficult to get the front tire up over logs. Is this just me or typical for the bike ? Will converting to a 13/50 Chain & Sprockets help ? What are the drawbacks for doing this ?

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I have 13/49 gearing and can easily whealie over logs in 1st or 2nd gear with just a snap of the throttle. The modified carb and FMF pipe help, but you should be able to achieve this with the air box mods & new jetting. Info available at top of forum or on just kdx website.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Is that you are having trouble lofting the front wheel? If so, fan the clutch, rev and pop the clutch back out. If that front wheel doesn't lift, you have some other power band type problem is my guess. Just be ready though and keep your front end under control, very easy to loop. By shifting your weight back on the approach and then rocking forward as the front crosses the log, you should be unweighting the rear as it makes contact. Bunny hopping the suspension also helps. Practice using some small object and work your way up, then when you hit the trails it won't freak you out and cause you to miss the timing needed to accomplish.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Most of the time just wheelie enough to let front tire hit top of log and then go over. This prevents the dreaded back end kick up.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I just put in a torque ring from FRP, changed my jet needle and put in stiffer springs in my forks. I can wheelie a helluva lot easier than I could before! I had a blast today riding!!

Only log I needed to cross today was as tall as my bike, so we had to find another route...

DrVal

Oct 10, 2002
I believe that the jetting it correct since the plug seems to be the right color and it runs smooth through the gears. What would be the first best thing to do to give it wheelie power ?

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Maybe have someone else ride your bike to see if it is power or technique issues? Another thing, in one of the off-road video's I have (Time to Ride II) Barry Hawkins give some log crossing tips. Like the others said, loft the front wheel just enough to kiss the log and chop the throttle when the rear wheel is going over to make it drop (instead of smaking you in the seat). Might want to sear the riding tips forum here too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom