When do you have to re-plate the cylinder

cr250-2000

Oct 13, 2006
I am planning to replace the piston and rings and bearing on my 2000 CR 250. Do I need to have the cylinder re-plated as well if it is not scored? If not, do I replace the old piston with a standard bore replacement piston? Thanks

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
cr250-2000 said:
I am planning to replace the piston and rings and bearing on my 2000 CR 250. Do I need to have the cylinder re-plated as well if it is not scored? If not, do I replace the old piston with a standard bore replacement piston? Thanks

Inspect your bore, if it has damage get it sent to lukes racing. If not you should be fine with a new piston and rings, standard bore.

Nikasil is ultra hard and really doesn't wear if the operator used proper premix ratios and etc.

jrm

Apr 30, 2002
You need to check the dimensions of the cylinder bore to make sure it's still within the factory tolerance. You'll need to know the cylinder's service limit and have a pair of calipers or a micrometer to do this. Or you can take to your dealer or mechanic.

Assuming it's within spec and has no scoring or flaking of the plating, put in a standard piston and ring (along with new bearing and wrist pin) and re-assemble. Make sure you know whether to use an "A" or a "B" piston on your Honda (the cylinder will have a mark A or B on it).

Good luck

Top Bottom