Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Besides ordering it, what places normally have safety wire? Everytime I ask at a tool store or autoparts place, they think it's some kind of electrical wire. I work near an airport and I know that airplane mechanics use it so I would think that someplace local might have it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Harbor Freight usually stocks it on their shelf, just be sure of the size you pick up. Otherwise they do have a web site.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You're not shopping at the right place. Any place that sells mechanics stuff has it. I know Home Depot carries very nice stainless steel wire in various guages.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I checked at home depot by me and all they had was the wire that you use to hang dropped ceilings. Didn't even cross my mind to check the motorcycle shop, I'll see if they carry it, if not i'm just going to order it.

Any idea what size I should use? I believe the two sizes people use are .020 and .031, not sure which one.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
The bike shop was the only place I found it... Depot and Lowes didnt have jack.. Picture framing wire is all they had... THere metric selection is weak at best too...

fatherturtle

Jan 17, 2004
.032 or .031 when I was an aircraft mechanic we called it .032. I went to the auto parts last week asking for safety wire and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I finally got on the same level that he was on and then he said it was called mechanic wire. I said what ever it is I need it. Try that nomenclature.

Top Bottom