where to pick up springs

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I've dug through the search function enough to convince myself I should get some XR 400 springs? Where's the cheapest place to get them? Do I need any other parts besides oil? How much and what type of oil?

I'm on 2nd & 3rd gear roots & rocks all day long.

Thanks for the help.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
You'll need to cut some more spacers out of PVC pipe to get the proper pre-load. That's about it. Cheapest place is Bay-e. I got mine for $20 shipped. They are out of a XR600 that was Motarded. :) .41's, there are many more on there.... searching for them can be tricky though.

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
If you want to buy new springs, ServiceHonda is the place to go. A popular oil choice is Motorex. Given your riding conditions, I suggest trying 5 wt.

The topic of XR400 springs has been hammered on this board. Use the search function to learn about spring rates, making preload spacers, and fork oil choices.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I've done quiet a bit of searching. After a while it just fries your brain. Info overload I guess. Plus I forget where I saw what.....

What years does the XR use a .40? Weren't the years prior to that a .39? Are they the same length?

I think the .39 may work better even though I'm 200, as the trails around here probably are some of the rockiest and rootiest in the country.

What is the stock KDX rate?

Thanks.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Canadian Dave said:
It’s the 1996-99 0.38kg/mm XR400 springs that are interchangeable and commonly used in 1995 to 2003 KDX200/220s.

From racetech:
'96-99 xr400r 43mm showa .38
'00-02 xr400r 43mm showa .40

'00 200 kdx 43mm kyb .35

The Stock KDX spring rate depends on the year of the KDX. The 89-92 KDX's had a .29 spring rate stock. The 95-04 KDX's have a .35 spring rate.

-Maurice

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
Actually, the parts lists at Service Honda disagrees with Canadian Dave / JustKDX & RaceTech. As I have ordered a set of these springs from Service Honda, I can confirm that the part #s are correct. The 671 spring is the lighter rate (and shorter, so they require a longer preload spacer than the 761).

96-97 P/N 51401-KCY-671
98-02 P/N 51401-KCY-761

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sandy:
What are those part numbers for? If both for XR, which XRs?

As long as they are 36mm, they will likely fit.

Much over 530mm in length and you will have problems cutting PVC small enough to be a reasonable spacer for preload. If you have the real deal (like washers) it wouldn't matter so much.

If they ever get as long as 536mm (I don't know that they do or don't..doubt it, though) that would be close to not needing any preload 'hardware' on the top at all.

Last edited:

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
XR400R

Am I missing something here? The 2 PNs I posted above are the same PNs that you'll find in numerous threads on the subject. Of course, I realize that CC started this whole deal with the XR400 springs, so I bow to the master.

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I too am in the market for new springs so here's my question to the forum. Does anyone make stiffer springs for the KDX that are the same length as stock so that no pre-load spacer is needed?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I din't start no XR400 spring thingy. I use 'em. I happen to like 'em. ..but it wasn't my idea.

Assumption that the part numbers are for an XR400 would seem, well...kind of dumb on my part. Why assume? There are bikes other than the XR400 with different spring rates that have been used in KDXs. Yeah...I could have verified your numbers, or you might have stated explicitly what they were for, for the sake of clarity.

Sorry if that grates on you. I much prefer assumptions not be a part of any conversation, let alone anything having to do with numerous and varying specifications.

re: ' stiffer springs for the KDX that are the same length as stock..'

Sure. Most aftermarket cold-wound springs made for the kdx will be more or less the same length. Get a set from Eibach or Race-tech or whomever.

And put them in with 35mm preload?

If you like. Pretty much a waste of time, imo. That makes as much sense as taking your shock apart (spring off), getting it rebuilt and then taking care to put the spring back on in the same place it was. Now..that 'same place' giving you 2" of race sag being quite beside the point, it is indeed the same as it was! Whew!! Good thing the ring threads were counted, otherwise your shock might be setup wrong!! :bang:

Your bike will work better if it is assembled correctly. If you need 35mm preload on your fork springs, you have way-the-wrong rate springs!

Seeing as the springs are indeed are 'more or less' in length you will be figuring your own preload spacers anyway. Heck, it's not uncommon to get a pair of springs that aren't the same length to start with. Would you just stick them in with same-length spacers?

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
CC, I thought you were the one that originally came up with the XR400 springs after your bad experience with Eibach? springs. I stand corrected. Oh well, you're still da' man! :worship:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I believe Race Tech and others make heavier springs for direct replacement in KDX and they are certainly available from frp. Part of the attraction and results from the XR springs is that there is more spring and less spacer in the fork. I think you will agree that this means more sprung travel and action from your forks. You will be amazed at the difference. You will change the springs in your KDX before or after your medical treatments resulting from using the stock ones. Cheers John

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I put XR springs in my kdx after a local tuner (Richard Wilson, House of Horsepower) put them in my riding buddy's kdx. They were obviously delightful..and, yes, after some bad experiences with eibach springs I asked Jeremy to send me some XR springs.

And so he did.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…