zsr

Mar 17, 2001
O.k., o.k., I know its a stupid question to ask, but I'm becoming desperate. Due to a handling problem on my sons 01 CR250 (detailed in the suspension forum under "Tank slap"), several people have said that they would try a different bar bend (changing body position weight dist etc etc.)

I realise it's a VERY subjective thing, but I'd like to get a consensus of peoples preferences for the 01 CR250.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't really sure where to put it.

Many thanks

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
I can't help with setup of your CR but if you know you want to try different bar bends, Renthal has many different ones. They have dimensions of each so you can compare them with what you have. I am looking into bar risers to add to my clamps to make the bars higher. I have the same type problems, most of which is due to my height.

------------------
“ If we weren’t all crazy we would go insane” Jimmy Buffett
'99 KTM 380sx

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Arrghh!! Now you've really upset me :)

Forward is the way we were going to go (and higher!)

Bob rode a 01 125SX which has really high bars and found the position more 'aggressive' which he thought might help get more weight over the front.

Renthals are good cos I can get them for $25 :) We've had the suggestion of Renthal Carmichael twin wall bars. Anyone used them?

------------------

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
wieght, aggressive or lack of it, riding style, track conditions, etc etc. all play into tank slapping problems. before you change to a whole bunch of different bars, i would first find what and where you are having the most trouble. Then look at the positioning on the bike, bars etc.
Also how tight or loose is the steering stem, is the suspension set up correctly?
If you are going to compare bikes do it with same and kind, meaning if your riding a Cr Honda, compare to another Cr Honda, not a Kx or other machine. It will be the only way to get a good idea, and to narrow the possiblities on the problem.

biggest thing in my mind is that if your comfortable with the bars and they are in a relativly proper position, then leave them alone, change your riding style to compensate, this is of course assuming the suspension isn't totally wacked!

Hope that helped

wardy

------------------
"don't wake me.......I am working."

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Chris Taylor set up the forks and gave us the settings for the rear, he is arguably the No.1 suspension guru in the U.K.

I feel we have checked everything with almost scientific efficiency, headstock was stripped and greased before first ride (only been ridden 5 times since - no meetings, pinch bolts torqued properly. Even switched to a 20" front.

Bob can jump back to his 125 and rip the local track apart, back on the 250 and he gets massive tank slap every time he gets on the power. Others have ridden the bike and like the suspension better than their own but critisize the riding position (stock honda bars). The position was set up to mimic his 125. When we first got the forks back he was getting bad jolts through the front end which we cured by dropping the forks all the way down through the clamps (amazing difference). Now he gets the slap. We've checked the sag again and again, tried compression rebound changes to front and back - no change. Although only 16, he is build like a brick sh~thouse, his arms are nearly as big as my thighs, really really fit kid. This bike just beats him up. He does admittedly ride VERY aggressivly, but that's what mx is after all.

Just as well we've no meetings here 'til we've finished the 'big barbeque' :)

We'll get there

------------------

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Anyone using Ricky Carmichael Twin Walls?

------------------

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've got Twinwalls...don't remember which bend. I would suggest the ProTapers over the Twinwalls. The TWs are very strong, but they don't flex like the PTs do. You get even more vibration from the TWs than normal aluminum bars.

Have you considered a steering damper?

------------------

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
No haven't really considered the damper - to be honest I would rather solve the problem than cover it if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the twin wall info, we need more vibration like we need..........more vibration!!! :)

Is more possible?

------------------

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
I know handlebars are mainly preference, but mine are thrashed and i need a new set. I'm a 5'11, 150lb beginner about to move up to novice. Is there anyone w/ similar size/skill that has a handlebar/triple clamp setup that works for them? I have 7/8 renthal's right now but would like to go to Pro Tapers, twinwalls or the azonic doublecross bars.

------------------
YZ125, Team YOLO Racing, 2001 Sponsors: Powerhouse of Paso Robles, Bell Helmets, N-Style Graphics, Boyesen, Twin Air, Excel Rims, RK Chain, Vortex Billet Racing Products, Bendix Brake Pads

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Fitted the twin walls today, and took them off again. Never known ANYTHING fizz like those. Renthal say you can remove the brace on these but that didn't help.

Pro Tapers next - anyone know a site that gives dimensions for the 'low', 'medium' & 'high' versions?

------------------

Oreos

Mar 26, 2001
Any of you guys out there know what would be a good straight bar with a low bend? I'm pretty short so I'm looking for something with a low bend.

------------------

Top Bottom