kornmanz

Mar 18, 2008
Well I typed up this huge thing really explaining me as a rider but my internet went down at that exact moment as I was posting and I lost all that I typed. :P

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

About 6ft 2in and 190lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

Moderately aggresive, I do however like to have the power to smoke my friends when need be. :)

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

With friends on local trails and tracks. I live in NM. The terrain is desert. So imagine lots of hills, sand, dirt, ditches etc.

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Lots, exact number unknown but I learned to ride a fat cat 80cc before a bicycle so you get the picture. I also own a streetbike so experience with motorcycles is a lot.

5) Do you think you will race ?

Possibly

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

I am mechanically inclined yes, it depends on the work on whether or not I'll be doing it on my own.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

No compression kicked 4 strokes, it is a pain to start my wr400 on the go due to it.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Yes I do its Santa Fe Motorsports and they carry all kinds of brands of all motorsport vehicles. They also can order anything.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

6k to play with

10) Do you live in California?

no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I like yamaha because I currently have a wr400 from them and its dependable, and I also like kawasaki cause I own a zx12 streetbike from them. So those are the brands I know already.

Sickboy

May 10, 2001
If I were you I'd be looking for a new or slightly used Yamaha YZ250 2 stroke. Add a flywheel weight to smooth out the power and you're all set.. If there's a possibility of racing motocross you definitely want a light bike, not a trail/enduro type bike. With the flywheel weight though, a motocross bike works great on trails. It just may not be as smooth as a non-mx bike

As far as power, I'm 6'2" 190lbs with my gear on and my CR250 has more power than I can use.

kj_cr250

Jul 21, 2007
kornmanz said:
Hrm, a flywheel weight? Can you explain further what this is?

And what about a KX250? Are those any good?

A flywheel weight is a weight (typically between 8-14 ounces) that attaches to the flywheel which increases the rotating mass of the engine. This will slow the revvs down a bit and make it more tractable. It also helps prevent stalling in corners. I run a 12oz on my CR and love it. Steahly makes some screw on kind that work great.

In the more recent years (2k5+) the top 250 two-strokes in the shootouts are the YZ250 and the Suzuki RM250. The KX is good but needs some suspension work to match the Yamaha and Suzuki.

kornmanz

Mar 18, 2008
Thanks man, I'll look into the YZ since I already trust yamaha really well. Plus it would be cool to have two yamaha dirt bikes in my garage.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
+1 for the YZ250 ...

It has more power than I could ever need. I seriously love this bike. My only gripe is it sucks on really really tight trails, where you have to putt around super slow. But I imagine if I was taller it wouldnt be half as much of a problem. Powerwise, it seriously is better then sex lol.

It hauls my 5'7", 150lbs ass around like its nothing.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom